• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spinner II Centrifugal Oil Bypass Filter

4x4 Forever

Emerald Shellback
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Looks Good!!

We used these offshore hooked up to CAT engines from 3306 all the way to 3516's. We never had a problem with oil pressure or capacity.

We went from changing oil at 1000hr entervals to once every 6 month and that was opnly after oil analysis showed it needed it. The best part about this was we only had to drop half the oil and not the full pan. A base pan for a D399 was 160 gals, pretty good savings!

jesusgatos

I spent some time this afternoon trying to figure out where I want to mount this Spinner II unit, and I ended up designing a mount very similar to JDToumanian's. The bracket is about 15" tall and it's offset to keep the centrifuge away from the turbo. The pictures where I'm holding the centrifuge show the approximate location where it will be mounted. Any potential clearance problems with any options or popular accessories? Anything else I should consider? Once I've settled on a final design, I'm going to have at least one of these laser-cut and formed for Mah Deuce. Let me know if any of you guys want one and I can have a small batch of them made. No idea what they might cost, but I'm guessing less than $75 (this isn't a money-making proposition).

Attachments

JDToumanian

Awesome! Did you get your Spinner installation done yet? I've been too busy lately and hadn't logged on in a few months.

Personally I don't think the bigger model 960/96SE will be a problem.... 1 gpm or 2 gpm, both are only a small percentage of the oil pump's capacity, and with the automatic safety shutoff hot idle will not be a problem either.

I've put almost 2,000 miles on my deuce since I put the Spinner on it last year, and the oil is still a clear brownish color. Before the Spinner, the oil would be jet black in less than 500 miles, so it's definitely working. I'm starting to get curious about how much sludge is in the centrifuge bowl..... I'm going to do an oil change and clean it out the before the Tower Park Convoy in April......

Jon

jesusgatos

No, I decided to wait to install the Spinner. I bought an LDS engine that I'm going to swap into Mah Deuce (just got home with it last night!), and I'm also going to install a RACOR CCR and primary fuel filter in the same area. So I think I'll probably be able to make a one one mounting bracket that will hold all three things. Glad to hear that Spinner's working out for you.

Lonesome715

I htought it replaced them as well. If it does not what would be the benefit to running a more exspenive spinner as opposed to the less exspensive filtered bypass systems?

jesusgatos

The benefit is that these Spinners filter down to less than one micron, and there's no filter element to change.

I was planning on installing a second centrifuge in my trailer, so I could filter oil/fuel, but now I'm wondering whether I might be able to plumb the one Spinner into some type of manifold that would allow me to filter engine oil AND fuel (through the same unit at different times).

jesusgatos

I'm not sure what you're asking? If you're asking about the Spinner II, it never needs to be changed. There's no filter element. You just clean out the bowl periodically. With regard to the oil, I'm installing a brand new (rebuilt) LDS in Mah Deuce, I'm filling it with Amsoil synthetic, installing the Spinner, and I'm going to run it for as long as I can. I'll have samples analyzed at regular intervals, but I'm expecting to go at least 30,000 miles on this oil.

JDToumanian

There are a number of OTR truckers, sponsored by Spinner I'm pretty sure, who have gone several hunderd thousand miles with only oil analysis, topping off, Spinner cleanings, and full-flow filter replacement.

So far, I'm very enthusiastic about mine!

Jon

tennmogger

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hi Jon,

I'm also installing a Spinner on my Unimog. So far there is no place in the engine compartment that does not interfere with the cab lifting.

How loud is your Spinner? I could mount mine on the right front corner of the bed, just behind the passenger door. What do you think, is that location going to put the passenger in a high noise zone with the window open?

At the same time a fuel-water separator/filter/fuel heater will be mounted on the left front of the bed. servicing either will be simplified in those locations.

thanks,

Bob

There are a number of OTR truckers, sponsored by Spinner I'm pretty sure, who have gone several hunderd thousand miles with only oil analysis, topping off, Spinner cleanings, and full-flow filter replacement.

So far, I'm very enthusiastic about mine!

Jon

goldneagle

I was wondering how the road vibration and shock would effect the centrifuge? would this conversion put an end to my wheeling aspairation?
You can always put an inline shut off valve to stop the flow to the unit and therefore shut the unit down during offroading.

JDToumanian

I don't think vibrations or off road driving will affect it, due to the gyroscopic effect... Jarring would try to slow down the spinning, but I don't think it would make any difference in performance. Spinner's tech support was very helpful to me, you could ask them to make sure.

The Spinner IS noisy and does vibrate some.... I can't hear or feel it over the noise of my deuce's idling engine, but you can when you shut the engine off and it slowly spins down to a stop over a minute or so. It's also heavy. It comes with nice rubber vibration dampening mounts, but the instructions warn you not to attach it to sheet metal because it will transmit vibration and noise.

Would a fabbed bracket that bolts to the frame and supports the Spinner in free space in the engine compartment work? The deuce's engine compartment became surprisingly small when I offered up the spinner.... I held it in the space where it needed to go, took measurements, and then welded up a bracket, so it is bolted to the frame but sits about 10" above it.

Jon

Lonesome715

That is what I meant. The oil in the engine and the filters. Do they have to be changed at the same time still? And how often after the Spinner install does it have to be done?