• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spinning Antenna Mount Bolt

dao

So, today, I was tired of banging my head on my M1009's antenna mounts so I started loosening the bolts. Wouldn't you know it. Most bolts came right out, but I have maybe three where the nut in the truck side is spinning. See image below. I really don't want to cut the bolts and drill. Any ideas that won't muck up the paint? I've attempted soaking in Aerokroil. The nut itself moves very freely so it is really tough coaxing the bolt out.

Antenna Mount Bolts.jpg

M813rc

Steel Soldiers Supporter
If it's the ones behind the doors, you can actually reach up from below inside the panel and get at the interior nuts. I managed it on both sides. I admit that it was not a quick and easy job, and entailed some off-colour language, but it did work.

Cheers

dao

Drilling may be required...as I already mentioned in my post. The mounts are on the rear of the M1009. The nuts are not available to grab on the other side before someone suggests that. ;-)

cucvrus

I drilled mine out and welded the holes shut on several CUCV's I was repainting. It always looked nice in my eye with not holes. Except a few bullet holes. I have replaced the riv-nuts for a few customers also. I have no use for the tree catchers. If you need some new ones I have them.

ODFever

Madness Takes Its Toll...
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Could you wedge a screwdriver between the mount and the body and push the antenna mount out? A little pressure might give you a bit more bite on the threads inside the riv nuts.

dao

Thanks for the replies. Great minds think alike. I tried wedging a large flathead in there to apply pressure. No luck. What do those darn nuts look like behind the sheet metal? I suspect there's a lip and larger surface behind it...so I don't see it just popping out, but I could be wrong. And yes, I'm looking to not bugger up the surface too much. Ideally, I'd like to close the hole and paint over it. I'm sure many others have removed these darn things and closed the holes. I have no need for the mounts.

snowtrac nome

go to your napa dealer ask to look for jack nuts used for mirror mounting you will see what they look like likely your only option will be grind the bolt head off than grind out the jack nut and replace it with a new one

mutt1966

I had this problem when I first bought mine, soak it with a 50-50 solution of ATF and Acetone and took of Small Needle Nose Vice Grips to hold it and used my air ratchet came right out.... Scott O&O

dao

I'm not sure y'all understand. I don't intend to replace them. I want the mounts gone and holes gone. I have no desire to have antenna mounts sticking off my truck nor holes in the side.

Drock

Just tack weld the side of the nut, let it sit for 15 seconds so the nut can heat up, (that will loosen the bolt), then undo the bolt. Drill out the nut flange, grind the tack off. Now your ready to weld the hole up, I like to use a washer that fits in the hole and 0.25 wire:beer:

Mainsail

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take an angle grinder and grind the head off, then remove the bracket and yank the remaining bolt and rivnut straight out with vice grips.