• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spinning Generators?

Isaac-1

I have a concrete floor shop area where I tend to work on my new GL purchases, including Generators, etc. Anyway I have found that while running they like to vibrate and spin around, particularly the smaller / lighter ones. The little Yanmar powered MEP-016d is so bad about it that it has to be blocked in place or someone has to hold it to keep it from turning at about 1 - 2 rpms. So I thought I would ask what sort of solutions have you found for this problem? My MEP-002a also does this, but is is more of a slow crawl moving about 6 minutes every 5 minutes, still it seems to be trying to escape out the roll up door and is not as easy to push back inside when it is time to close up.

Ike

jbk

my 002 did the same thing. be sure the valve lash is set good . i set mine on 1 inch rubber pads when on concrete to prevent this or you can put it on a trailer.

Harleyd315

I was able to get some rubber belting from the local quarry off one of their stacking conveyors. It was 48" wide and I cut it 8 ft long. They have plenty of good used pieces laying around and were happy to get rid of some.

ETN550

Great thread, great ideas! I especially like the stall mat.

I have the same problem. Running on concrete can cause excess vibration because the frame is never in perfect even contact with the floor. My floor is worse then average and the unit can rock.

I watched a you tube of an L10 clone running on concrete by itself and one of the comments by someone was that type of bare engine running without a pad could crack the engine sump or feet.

Any of the rubber / carpet solutions help distribute the load on the frame better and they run smoother.

If I was to anchor bolt one to a piece of concrete outside I would use rubber pads or the felt expansion strips used in concrete joints as a layer between frame and foundation.