• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Splatter from tires

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Don't drive through stuff that will splatter? fat lady sings

The M818 has those small splatter guard/fenders, but I still get stuff on the spare tire and toolbox. I just clean it off occasionally.

oilcan

I've thought of throwing together a detachable framework with something like conveyor belt material stretched out over it. Never worked it out much further than that, though.

swbradley1

Modertator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen road tractors with the full fenders. While I'm sure they work IMHO they are the dumbest looking I have ever seen on a truck, especially those rounded ones covering the tires.

gunboy1656

I know full fender on an M818 would be difficult due the articulation of the axles, not of how much there is with that 757 as I have never seen one in person.

Having said that, why not make something that could mount to the 5th wheel. That way you could take them off when using a trailer and back on when bob tailing?

EMD567

Driver for the Ga Mafia
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you concerned with just stuff getting on the MV? If so, then front 1/2 flaps are what you need. Other then that, full covers would be needed.

MyothersanM1

19K M1 Armor Crewman
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I have seen road tractors with the full fenders. While I'm sure they work IMHO they are the dumbest looking I have ever seen on a truck, especially those rounded ones covering the tires.

Aaaacccchhh! The horror of it all! I absolutely despise those rear fenders.

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Thanks guys for your replies!
I like my bikini top, but when the inside of the windshield gets splattered, it is time to figure something out besides driving with a raincoat on...otherwise Mike's garden hose suggestion isn't all bad...;)
Image shows someone else (Brandon ?) with a similar problem.

Attachments

bulldog_mack13

3/3 ACR
Mud flaps and quarter fenders dont work as we know. Your only option bob tail is full fenders. I cant remember who but someone on here did it with a M818. I dont like them but then again I dont drive in mud and off road or in wet weather in a tractor bob tail.
Something else to worry about is the rear tandem flinging rocks all over the back of the cab from the tires.

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
When I had my m52, I figured rain helped put the crap on, RAIN will help wash it off, If no rain, then part of the trucks CAMO

oilcan

Thanks guys for your replies!
I like my bikini top, but when the inside of the windshield gets splattered, it is time to figure something out besides driving with a raincoat on...otherwise Mike's garden hose suggestion isn't all bad...;)
Image shows someone else (Brandon ?) with a similar problem.

That's about the cleanest my 818 was for the whole weekend at the 08 GA rally. I remember chunks flying over the cab beyond the reach of the headlights after coming off the trail on to the highway one evening.

Ok, here's my idea...
Take the brackets that hold the mud flaps out back, and mount several up both sides of the frame. Hang the mud flap bars from those brackets, and lay a conveyor belt over all of them. Figure out a simple way to attach the belt to the bars and quarter fenders, and there you go. Pull some pins and/or some bolts, and it all comes off.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks