• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Split Brakes

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
well since i don't think anyone really knows this yet, find someone with a air force truck with dual brakes and have them get the casting number from the MC. it had to come from somewhere and if it has a number should be tracable.

rflegal

keep in mind that when the system is working correctly, the MC does NOT apply the brakes. it only controls the air pressure regulator on the airpack. it is the MC on the airpack that applies the brakes. with no air pressure and ONLY then, does the primary MC push on the piston of the airpack MC to apply the brakes.
tom
Absolutely - I agree Tom. As I think about it, the MC really contributes little as you say but acts as a reservior and a hydraulic actuator; the air piston does all the work.

But that still brings the question; in the dual system, the airpacks are the same as on the single, yes? If they applied the same stroke as on the single system, the same volume of fluid at the same pressure would be applied to fewer WCs. But, the pressure regulation part of the airpack prevents overpressuring, yes? I hadn't thought of it that way. Airpacks are pressure controlled via the compensator. The compenstor piston will move relative to hydraulic pressure and force the control valve closed, preventing overpressure? So two deuce MC idea should work just fine and give you truely independent systems. Is there a good schematic on airpack operation principles anywhere in the TMs?

I know some think dual MCs would be tough, but you'd know that the MC matched the airpack and the systems were truely independent.

Attachments

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
yes same air packs
the air packs would not move the same stroke, they would only move enough to apply the same pressure . in the control valve the pressure from primary MC is balanced against the air pressure on the other side of a piston, controlling the air pressure to the apply piston, and the air pressure to the service trailer connector. (making the piston in the controller larger reduces the pedal effort to apply brakes.)

tom

jesusgatos

...you have several options for dual brakes and the one i favor is just as simple as any other. that is to do away with the primary MC and replace it with an air threadle valve which then controls air to basic air units with a MC on each. this is the most modern system out there and used by isuzu and nissan on their box trucks. it also reduces the pedal pressure to less than that of any car.
I'd like to hear more about the components that would make up this type of system, and would be required for a Deuce conversion. Sounds interesting. Could you then use three air valves? You know, to get a completely separate brake system for each axle...

m-35tom

Supporting Vendor
what we need is the casting #, not the part number.

i used the pedal and valve assy from a 900 series truck, mounted on a reinforced firewall. (along with the air assist hydraulic clutch)
air packs are from a nissan UD box truck, the rest is just plumbing.

Chinookpilot77

I'm just brainstorming here guys, try to be gentle if I'm totally off base, but why couldn't you use a medium duty truck MC along with its vacuum booster can and then get an electric vacuum pump. If the power is cut, for whatever reason, I assume the check valve on the booster would allow you one or two brake applications...if not, then I've stopped a deuce with no power assist, not easy, but it can be done for sure. I'm just wondering if that would be viable. I realize its not "authentic, but then neither is my bobbed truck.

rflegal

You could, would be a very interesting idea. I don't think you'd even need the vac pump on a gasser, not sure how much vac she'll pull. It would need to be matched. Or you could do a hydroboost from med/heavy duty truck, install an appropriate PS pump and combine it with a hydraulic power steering install like I did on my FJ40. There are quite a few options I think. Just comes down to what you're comfortable/experienced with and if you have the skills and fabricating know-how to do it safely. Its my understanding that, other than the dual system that the military used (which is not available as a retrofit publicly), nobody has a canned kit that's plug and play. You have to do all your own R&D and the easiest path is to copy the military. The harder one is something original like what you proposed. But hey that's the fun part, right?:-D That's also why we're on the mod forum with this one too, right?

rflegal

How about a hydroboost for the brakes running from a complete aux. hydraulic system running off the PTO with quick connect ports on the bed side and back to run ancilliary equipment like the equipment underground; a hydraulic lift jack, or drill or chain saw! The chain saw is too cool... no engine noise from the saw itself, just don't cut the hoses. :razz:

Chinookpilot77

Chinookpilot77

Anyone have any idea what the largest vehicle on the road to use vacuum boost is? I want vacuum, not hydro for ease of installation. A lot of diesel are hyro because diesels dont normal pull a decent vacuum. BUT, I am going to install a separate vacuum pump. all I need to do now is find out which booster/MC combo to use.

The best option would be to have a MC off a 4 wheel disc brake truck, but I'd try a drum.

stumps

Anyone have any idea what the largest vehicle on the road to use vacuum boost is?
It was common in the days of gasoline powered trucks and school buses. I have an F600 2 ton with a vacuum over hydraulic system... single circuit too!

Diesel pickup trucks generally have a belt driven vacuum pump to handle the ordinary vacuum assist power brakes.
-Chuck

mudguppy

i don't understand this statement:

... I want vacuum, not hydro for ease of installation. ... I am going to install a separate vacuum pump. ....
it is simply one extra hydraulic line. it goes from pump-booster-steering box vs pump-box. that's it. :?: in either case, you're still doing the hard part (swapping the master cylinder). but w/ vacuum, you're installing a seperate component (stand alone pump) and you have to fit that gi-normous brake booster in there, too.

you'll have to go back many moons to find vacuum pumps on diesel (to drive a vacuum brake booster, that is). even in light duty trucks, they all made the switch to hydro-boost in mid-90's. ex: my '96 cummins has a gear driven vac pump in front of the power steering pump. in '97+ they went to hydroboost and eliminated the vac pump. same for ferds and cheby's. i think medium duty switched before that.

mudguppy

... since the slot above my generator is already spoken for. any ideas?
is that where the 5 ton pump could be bolted on to?

i have the PSC hydro pump mounted below the IP. it's on a custom built bracket that Jim (Cavemantrucks) built. it runs off of a belt that reaches over to the alternator. i can take pics if you help remind me...

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks