• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Split/locking ring removal from the wheel on the 1952 M211. Inner tube replacement.

Century

So after doing a little research and watching a couple videos, this was our first time replacing the inner tube on the flat 9.00x20 tire on our M211.

I'm sure there are things you wouldn't do, or do differently and maybe we will too, on the next one. Maybe this will help show you what to do, or not do, when you do it. Please comment and thumbs up or down the vid!

m1010plowboy

Steel Soldiers Supporter
It's always good to see a video of guys swinging the hammer and saving money. I appreciate any video where we can lock that deuce history down.

As a safety guy I get to watch videos like this next one so seeing it all go together and back on the deuce means it went right for you. Heavy chain through all the holes would help spread the energy if it does explode. Getting a cage and an air chuck that locks on to the stem so you can walk away while it's inflating means we get to see more videos.

Thanks for sharing that truck and now we get to hound you for more pics and video. How about a run down the road so we can see what she does 0-50mph with those 900 tires?

Century

It's always good to see a video of guys swinging the hammer and saving money. I appreciate any video where we can lock that deuce history down.

As a safety guy I get to watch videos like this next one so seeing it all go together and back on the deuce means it went right for you. Heavy chain through all the holes would help spread the energy if it does explode. Getting a cage and an air chuck that locks on to the stem so you can walk away while it's inflating means we get to see more videos.

Thanks for sharing that truck and now we get to hound you for more pics and video. How about a run down the road so we can see what she does 0-50mph with those 900 tires?

Thanks for the comments and suggestions. We will take it out soon and do a little 'speed' run. Seems like around a minute is the average, from the videos I've seen.

Oh, and if you look on my YouTube channel, there are other videos with the truck.

Last edited:

The soapy water lets the duck bill slip in between the ring and bead of the tire to separate them and push the tire down so the rim can be removed ,
Wire brush and file any rough marks left by the buck bill and wire brush locking parts.
When taking the rim off the tire stand it up were the valve stem is pointing away from you and at the bottom (I lean it up to a tree) then pull the top of the rim to you once it clears the tire the valve stem can slip free .

When going back together stand tire up to a tree with valve at the bottom and pointing away from you then set the rim angled towards the tire at bottom and out at the top you can move the valve stem through the hole in the rim . then push the top of the rim When its in square the rim up with the tire and push it in .
The ring is tempered hitting it hard with a hammer takes the temper out .

GopherHill

those are all good suggestions. I might add to use a high lift farm Jack to break the beads if you don't have that handy tool. Slide the wheel assy. under the front bumper and use the Jack base on the tire and lift saddle under the bumper.
Would suggest air the tire split ring facing the ground, chains, and clip on air chuck.

Big Tom

Boys that was horrible, take out valve core , soap it , couple walks with a tire hammer , pop ring with two tie irons , flip over on a wood block , more soap two more Wacks, fold out rim , pull tube and flap , wipe out tire , back in with tube and flap , snap on ring with your foot , air up , total time should only be 10- 15 min
Properly reinstalled military lock ring are very safe compared to civilian ones
Dig in
Big Tom

Century

Boys that was horrible, take out valve core , soap it , couple walks with a tire hammer , pop ring with two tie irons , flip over on a wood block , more soap two more Wacks, fold out rim , pull tube and flap , wipe out tire , back in with tube and flap , snap on ring with your foot , air up , total time should only be 10- 15 min
Properly reinstalled military lock ring are very safe compared to civilian ones
Dig in
Big Tom
Ahhh that's the negativity I was looking for! So many old, crusty arm-chair quarterbacks in this forum! With too much keyboard typey-typey and not enough doing things for themselves.

Did you watch and listen CLOSELY to the whole video?

I'll rebut some of your super weak points:
1. Tire already was completely flat and valve core was out when we started the process. (Hence why we even worked on it.) So you are wrong there.

I take that back.
1. This was our FIRST EXPERIENCE, as noted right in the title. We didn't do it to show a professional perfect, step by step. We did it just to document. Of course we saw all the widow maker, homicidal, death defying warnings. If you want to use a cage, locking air chuck, etc., I am not stopping you from doing so.

2. We poured soap all around both sides, LIBERALLY. We were experimenting with the process. Next time we will only hit it with the duck-bill side of the hammer to break the bead. Why do you continue to mention the things we actually did?

3. We used a couple tire irons to take the ring off. You misspelled tire. Its not 'TIE' irons.

4. We pulled and installed the inner tube. Don't know what you were trying to get at here.

5. We stepped on, and hammered a little, the ring on. It didn't jump into place by iteslf.

6. Big Tom, please show us your unedited video, with no cuts or breaks, of the perfect 10-15 minute tire change of a 9x20 wheel.

Big Tom, your input and reply was HORRIBLE. I guess we all know horrible pretty well, eh? :)

Take care buddy, thanks for all the help and support....

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks