• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spoon’s build thread

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good morning all,

I had a $$ windfall! Looks like some payment on credit cards and spin on conversions for oil and fuel!

I’m still not home yet, but hoping to head home later this week! I’m super excited to get home.

My lifting and flexibility are quite impacted, but I may be able to Tom Sawyer some help with the deuce. “You’ll love doing _____!” “Just think of how much fun you’ll have…”

Cheers,

Spoon

Mullaney

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Supporting Vendor
Good morning all,

I had a $$ windfall! Looks like some payment on credit cards and spin on conversions for oil and fuel!

I’m still not home yet, but hoping to head home later this week! I’m super excited to get home.

My lifting and flexibility are quite impacted, but I may be able to Tom Sawyer some help with the deuce. “You’ll love doing _____!” “Just think of how much fun you’ll have…”

Cheers,

Spoon
Absolutely!!
Bucket of white paint...
Wishing you could be having this much fun! :)

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Uh, uh pick me! Pick me! I know! Knuckleboom crane!! Tilt bed/wrecker bed AND crane! Hydraulic winch on bed and in front. The bestest vehicle recoverer ever!
And a trip to BFE, WA… I’ve got whitewash. ;)

Not that much of a windfall…

No idea about what bed combo I’ll wind up with. Totally depends on $$ and what I can swing. Her immediate future is just a flatbed and probably no bed for a while.

Cheers,

Spoon

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hey all,

Made it home last Friday. The flight was unpleasant due to getting in and bumps. I was laid up for a couple of days.

Visited the deuce and made sure her tarp was situated. I took a few more pictures.
4C0EEC72-D3F7-4BB5-A480-CB1F13A36034.jpeg
I just ordered the 3 spin on filter kits. Will probably order the soft brake lines kit and air pack rebuild. I’ll see where that leaves me financially.

I am definitely going to take the bed off with the help of a backhoe. I’m moving super slow and not working on the deuce at all until my back heals.

I did have to crack the hood on my DD to wiggle the coil wire. I will be paying for that this afternoon. Back pain is a drag.

Cheers,

Spoon

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

I’m considering using an in-line fuel pump instead of the lift pump. Those of you that have done that how were the results?

I’ve been using the search feature on this site and usually am able to find stuff, but this time I feel like my brows have thickened.

My mentor has a backhoe and is eager to help move the truck along. I found my “patsy” to help whitewash the deuce. :)

I had my 2 month surgery follow up. Healing well!

I’ve got the air compressor and spin on filters.

Cheers,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I got a 24vdc one from Summit Racing out of Nevada. it was under 50$ a few years ago. make sure the discharge pressure and gph matches your engine requirements.
Thank you very much! I’ve seen 5-9psi, is that accurate? For the bypass just a one way check valve to the fuel return line?

Cheers,

🥄

davidb56

Thank you very much! I’ve seen 5-9psi, is that accurate? For the bypass just a one way check valve to the fuel return line?

Cheers,

🥄
. 5 psi is fine as many will run without any ltank pump, but make sure the GPH is enough. on mine the bypass line is separate to the tank. so I just cut into the fuel feed line on top of the tank and put the pump in line with rubber fuel lines and then spliced in the power supply wire.

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

The water tank came off today!
BEAE58CF-7283-4743-AD35-32C9416691A3.jpeg
77081CF2-A027-4D35-814F-AF9F4C403D64.jpeg
My other half gave me the perfect hood ornament.
8FCFA7E5-CA74-4218-AB72-25253E419A8B.jpeg

I’ve got an in-line fuel pump coming. Fingers crossed she runs after that. I will do the spin-on fuel filters when I crack the line.

There were some boxes in the cab. I had a look. They are cases of filter elements… 🙄 oh well.

My back is healing well. I’m still taking it easy.

Cheers,

🥄

Last edited:

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good evening all,

Finally had all the tools and willingness to work on the deuce today!
CA17E128-2167-4493-B81F-1378798BE2E9.jpeg

I’m waiting to do the in-line pump. A friend pointed out that I could take off some of the decking on the bed to access the lift pump. I had some tunnel vision going about taking the bed off.

A few 3/4” bolts were holding the water tank brackets and long T30 bolts. My impact wrench did marvelous for most of them. A couple spun their heads off and one wouldn’t budge and stripped.
1598C381-73CC-4B26-B916-7165A8050F92.jpeg
I love this tool! The bit attachment is rather wonky, but it was less $ than getting a driver.

I forgot my mini sledge and used a polaski to bang on the boards. To no avail. My back was starting to hurt and I know not to overdo it.

The bed decking is in good shape!

Cheers,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

More progress today. Brought my tools to the truck and found a couple of T30s I’d missed. It’s mighty cold here today, in the 20s (cold for PNW)

FDD12436-9C15-45EE-A2F3-3837C1E47737.jpeg
Looks like I won’t have to take off the outer board!

Dowsed the tank top screws and bolts with my trusty PB.
6757A24A-49DD-4B79-BDC2-F6E6622B2179.jpeg
The wiring looks a tad screwy, so when I can bend over again and it’s a bit warmer I’ll crack the 7/16” fuel bleeder and drain the lines back down.

I’m expecting the lift hose to be rotten and the lift pump ground and fuse to need attention. When the lines are “drained” I’ll do the spin on conversions. Again I’m limited in my ability to bend. I’m hoping that I can get some help for those tasks, but my back is improving so I’m excited.

Cheers,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Good afternoon all,

It just dawned on me that it makes more sense to get the deuce running and home before digging into the spin ons and other stuff I have planned.

It’ll be infinitely easier when I’m near my shop rather than toting my tools across the island. Plus the brigade wants her gone.

Hopefully a low pressure air supply on the fuel tank bung to prime at the bleeder and a possible bleed at the injectors will do the trick.

Cheers,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Greetings all,

Spent some quality time with the deuce this afternoon. Worked on the batteries and connections.

One of the old batteries is definitely toast and doesn’t want to hold a charge. I have a couple of spare batteries that may work. Yay, more things.

I messed with the fuel bleed nut on the secondary fuel filter housing. Turned on the power/Acc lever and prayed to hear fuel flowing… ah, wishful thinking.

I moved on the trying to add an air fitting to the spare bung on top of the tank. Discovered that the square head bung is made of brass and it’s painted in. I’d prefer to not destroy it, but I’m a tad stumped about how to get it out. What have you tried? What worked? My steal tools just want to eat it.

More islanders stopped by to “help”. One helped me reload my generator into my truck, which was giving me pause with my recovering back.

Here’s some pictures.
7605E74D-5B37-4777-8CD4-BC8757645A2B.jpeg
9D0D4098-043D-4716-B6F4-D8DECD1547EB.jpeg
EBA0AABC-0CD7-43BC-9985-B25A1A318F78.jpeg
I PB’d the injector fuel lines for future help.

I charged both batteries up to 95%, but they are done… need replacement.

Weather is improving. I’m excited to get more mechanic work and spend time getting deuce going

If brass fittings are the standard for the fuel tank. I’m a tad freaked out about taking out the painted in Phillips screws on the lift pump tank ring. I see the chances of many hours of colorful language and drilling them out. Ugh.

Cheers,

🥄

Spoonerist

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Hello all,

Some more tinkering the other day. One of the batteries needs replace. I swapped out some of the terminals for the kind with wing nuts.

A community member was clearing near the truck and discovered 3 more tires and wheels…
12448C33-659C-4325-BE38-CD25D3FE991B.jpeg

On a separate vehicle, my dd she had a critical failure. My mentor gets his wish for me to learn deep engine work. Also, to build my fastener selection. I picked up another vehicle to replace my dd. She needs some work, but nothing as bad as my other one.

Cheers,

Spoon

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks