• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spotted a Deuce in Salina, KS

DyoMikeR

I Just spotted a Deuce in Salina KS at the Sheriffs station. Does anybody wana own up too it? Or do you know the person that owns it. Just carious. Its the only one ive seen here. Would love to checkout a little more of it. Thanks

91W350

There is another in the 400 block of N. Broadway with a box bed. That Deuce is very nice and runs super, the Sheriff's Office bought it from the Airport Authority for a dollar. They have since put air assist steering on it and they plan to paint that beautiful deuce white and mark it like the rest of their fleet. The Sheriff has wanted one since Ft Riley sent down two deuces for people rescue during the floods at New Cambria. There is also a gas five ton bridge truck w/winch in Mentor. Not many 6x6s floating around here anymore. I hope to get a 5 ton myself.

DyoMikeR

Thanks for the info. I almost bought a 72 Deuce with all the goodies. I am still looking around at those and the blazers and trucks. Ill find something sooner or later. No hurry. Anything military is cool to me. Are you the one that geocaches also? I just starting doing that last fall. I think im up to about 14 or so, hahaha. Dont get a chance to get out much to do that, but i like the hunt and the exercise.

91W350

Sounds like a need to take a little drive over to Salina sometime.
The one at the Sheriff's Office is not for sale, wish it was!

The one in the 400 block of N. Broadway is behind the old Car Shoppe building and is a gasser. It has been painted two tone blue, appears to be a solid old truck and has not moved since they brought it in here about four years ago.

The five ton in Mentor is a friend of mine, we bought it at the GSA Auction in Manhattan, all of those deuces and five tons went heap cheap at that sale. They were the older gas trucks, but they were only bringing 100 dollars for a deuce, 150 dollars for a deuce with winch and about 200 dollars higher than that for the five tons. We took over a pair of batteries, cleaned the carb, bled the brakes and drove her home.

One of the deuces had a 427 Chevrolet truck engine in it and a buddy bought it for 150 dollars. He sold it to a guy in Lawrence. It has since sold again on Ebay and I do not know where it went this time.

You should bring a deuce over and cruise around, I am sure I would hear about it shortly!

"Thanks for the info. I almost bought a 72 Deuce with all the goodies. I am still looking around at those and the blazers and trucks. Ill find something sooner or later. No hurry. Anything military is cool to me. Are you the one that geocaches also? I just starting doing that last fall. I think im up to about 14 or so, hahaha. Dont get a chance to get out much to do that, but i like the hunt and the exercise. "

Yes, I am the Geocacher here in Salina. The state volunteer reviewer for Kansas. At any rate, if you want to try driving a Blazer or one of the military Chevy pickups, I can manage that for you. If you want to go Geocaching sometime, drop me a note. I do not need much of an excuse to go. I do not like the city trash cache routine though, I like the open country.

Me and my old Kaiser... Glen

Attachments

KsM715

Oh Im not looking to buy. I just like to drive around and see stuff. I came across a truck right here in manhattan with a the batwing machine shop on it parked off an alley behind some guys garage. I cant for the life of me remember if its a deuce or a 5ton.

The forest service had a GSA sale a few months ago but somehow I missed that. When it was listed the first time they had no photos so I was hoping stuff would go cheaper than normal so I went to preview and was told the sale was going to get pulled because GSA messed up and didt include photos and the forestry dept had more items to add. I swear I checked the listing everyday for a few months and never saw the stuff listed again:x. There was a few items I really wanted. Oh well there will be more coming out of there.

91W350

Come on over, I am off Sunday.... I could take you out to the 5 ton and we can visit the museum, I guarantee you will like that place. Glen

KsM715

Wish I could but Ill be up at the in-laws for the football party they put on every year.

Sometime I will make it out that way.

91W350

As long as he is alive, I can get you in to look and probably drive about anything you want to try. The cost of admission is sgning the guestbook. I think he is someplace around 40 cars and 30 antique Caterpillars. He has some interesting stuff, a 47 Lincoln V12, several Model Ts, 1916 through 1924 Dodges, a couple of Stanley Steamers, 1956 Cadillac, 1957 Chevy, 1956 Buick, 1912 Buick, 1911 Mercury truck, 1911 Model T, 1941 American La France that was assigned to the Kansas City Armory, a 1934 Dodge fire truck, a couple of Model As, 1925 Graham Truck..... it is worth a visit. I have driven or worked on about everything there at one time or another. Glen

KsM715

Hmmmm Ive got the remaining carcass's from both a Model A and a Model T stored at the In-laws. Now I know I have to get out there sometime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks