• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprag Clutch Rebuild / Repair

mikew

It's been snowing like crazy here in central Oklahoma today, 14" so far (that's a whole lot for us), and I had to make a run to my warehouse to pick up one of my wife's Christmas presents (a new washing machine, and yes she loved it!).

I was forced to back up the hill leading to me house because the forward sprag in my transfer case won't engage.

Yes it's adjusted per the TM.

The reverse sprag works great.

I can't seem to find a replacement sprag or the parts to repair mine.

I would prefer to keep my sprag transfer case, swapping for an air-**** as a last resort.

Does anyone have or know of a good sprag for sale, just the sprag clutch, not the whole transfer case.

Alternatively, why couldn't I find another sprag clutch with good reverse and bad forward (apparently the typical failure), and use the reverse sprag teeth to repair my forward clutch? From the TM it seems to say you can replace the sprag teeth although no part number is listed.

So anyone got a wore out sprag clutch or two they'd part with?

Mike Waldron

Last edited:

mikew

OK, since I've had no takers on this thread....

Has anyone ever actually rebuilt their sprag clutch or replaced a bad one with a "new" sprag?

Or is the only repair method anyone has used is swap for an air shift transfer case?

Mike W

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
PM me if you can't find replacement sprag assys there. I have access to new OEM ones, very cheap. Shipping (via DHL) would be the toughest part but probably still less than replacing the whole TC. Also, yours can be fixed with the TC in place, by just pulling the front output section.

G.

Divemaster920

Banned
Mike,
I have one down back that both the forward and reverse worked, I lost low range.
I can look tomorrow and see what shape they are in.

mikew

Mike,
I have one down back that both the forward and reverse worked, I lost low range.
I can look tomorrow and see what shape they are in.
Divemaster920,

Thanks for your response.

Don't put too much effort into checking out the sprag you have just yet.

As you can see, a couple of members may have access to new ones. If getting a new one doesn't pan out I'll send you a PM.

Mike W

WillWagner

The Person You Were Warned About As A Child
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had a sprag...HAD is the key word. It worked, but not 'till you were well on the way to being stuck. I swapped it out for an air shift. If you have the talent to repair your t-case, you can swap them out. It is less than a days work.

JasonS

Does anyone have or know of a good sprag for sale, just the sprag clutch, not the whole transfer case.

Alternatively, why couldn't I find another sprag clutch with good reverse and bad forward (apparently the typical failure), and use the reverse sprag teeth to repair my forward clutch? From the TM it seems to say you can replace the sprag teeth although no part number is listed.

So anyone got a wore out sprag clutch or two they'd part with?

Mike Waldron
You should be able to take the reverse sprags from a good unit and install into the front sprag clutch. I had planned the same until I purchased the REB kit from Memphis. You can pull the front drive assembly without dropping the t-case.

mikew

Well it looks like I've swung a deal for a pair of new sprags, one to use and one for a spare.

Pulling the front drive cover and replacing the sprag without removing the transfer case will be no big deal.

I know many people prefer the air shift, but I'm not driving off-road nearly as much as on paved roads and a more common problematic driving condition for me is like what I encountered today, patches of snow then lots of dry pavement. Having the front wheels engage only when slipping occurs instead of me manually engaging and disengaging the front drive is what I'd prefer. I'd think running on dry pavement regularly with the front axle engaged would put lots of strain and wear on everything.

Mike W

hoopsoft

I would have never guessed they were so cheap.. (Hi Mike)

Please tell me the 5 ton sprags are this cheap, along with all this snow we've had I found out I can only backup in the 818 too.. LOL (Not really it did pretty well, but heck if its only $50)

mikew

Ya, I agree Hoopsoft!

At $50 bucks it doesn't make sense to buy an airshift, and all the associated control bits, then swap those 400 lbs cases!

Properly adjust the sprag setup should work great.

It was quite embarrassing having to back up the ice and snow covered hill to my driveway while all the front wheel drive Jap cars where passing me!

And when the neighbors comment "Hey that thing must be great on slick roads." and I have to say "Yes, ALMOST as good as your Toyota!"

I've been driving an alternate route for a week to avoid that hill.

Mike W

emr

I will say my first deuce had a sprag and it luckily was in nice shape and adjusted well because for 10 years it worked flawlessly, and i used it alot, in deep mud to slimy mud to 30 inch snow torm the biggest, If someone can maintain it it is a good set up that will work for years,

tm america

nothing wrong with the sprag type transfer case just the air type gives you control of whether it is locked in or not . i like the air type better since you can lock in in and unlock it when you want .i dont like things that do it on their own.like all these newer trucks that have auto 4x4 systems .i have always wondered if you feel it kicking in and out of 6x6 on a deuce with a sprag type t c. and if it is harder to put it in rev when offroading it since it is trying to lock the transfer case in at the same time the trans is going into a non syncroed gear:roll:

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
.........................i have always wondered if you feel it kicking in and out of 6x6 on a deuce with a sprag type t c. and if it is harder to put it in rev when offroading it since it is trying to lock the transfer case in at the same time the trans is going into a non syncroed gear:roll:
NO you don't feel anything kicking, engaging/disengaging is very smooth....and NO, nothing stays locked while shifting.... except if you did sin like letting her roll backwards with the tranny in N or any forward gear, especially while turning.... then it may "kick", usually with a loud bang! Very scary and if lucky enough nothing got broken in two...:)

G.

hoopsoft

I did experience a loud pop when I was backing up the wrecker once while turning... I always wondered what they noise was, I thought I had broke something.

emr

A sprag for a five ton is a different animal, and are expensive, they work well,... when the 5 ton transfers go it is my opinion for all i have seen has nothing to do with the sprag they usually work well....

Jhalstead

Howdy all,

First i want to say hello, i know better place thatn this to do it but, i just got my truck in december and was out playing today and i had this same problem, im still trying to collect equipment and manuels for the truck but not realy sure what to buy. Any way i to make a long story short i had to back up a snowy icey hill to and yes its embarresing but still im a little proud i got up the hill backward LOL.

I was wondering where i could find the forward sprag assembly to replace mine, or if anyone could tell me how to adjust mine.

later
j

im off to post hello in another thread now.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks