• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprag modification

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
Try to find a "R.E.B" kit to install. I forget who makes them, but I'm sure a search of this site will net you more info on them.

m16ty

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Without the "REB" kit, there is really no way to convert a sprag. The high and low section of both t-cases are the same but the front axle engagement and associated power transmission it totally different. As has already been said, find a air-shift case and be done with it.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Is there any way to make a sprag a manual case.
Short answer: YES

Work and cost will depend of course of what you want it to do:
If you mean just manually shifting the T-136-21 Sprag-TC (with the stock 0.93:1.00 front/rear ratio) that would be fairly simple (and cheap) to achieve.
But then you better know well how that T-case works, and how to operate it - or something may snap in two, pretty soon...!

Now, if the question was converting it to a "selectable" 2WD/4WD T-case with equal front/rear output rpm, then you better find a good take-out T-136-27, which normally is shifted via compressed air - or eventually can be converted to manual shift, also.

Another way -and possibly lower cost- to convert/upgrade your Sprag T-case: find a junked -27 Air-Shift (typically from jumping out of gear) and pull out the entire front output section plus the rear output shaft. These parts can be swapped between both models.

G.

rustystud

You all realize the time is coming when we will not be able to "just replace the transfer case's with "air shift" ones" as there will be none available. Around here these go for over $300.00 just for a core. Maybe it is time someone came up with a kit like the old "REB" units. I have 3 spare sprag transfer cases just laying around, but I know the day is coming when I just might need them.

Jeepsinker

Rusty, by that time all the engine rebuild components and good spare engines will be dried up too, not to mention other consumables. And what about transmissions? There aren't an omitted amount of them out there either and they break on a regular basis.

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
To that I would comment that in order to keep our Deuces up-and-running it is much easier to find and adapt a different, more recent engine/transmission, than to find a replacement (aftermarket) T-Case that fits well...

G.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
To that I would comment that in order to keep our Deuces up-and-running it is much easier to find and adapt a different, more recent engine/transmission, than to find a replacement (aftermarket) T-Case that fits well...

G.
We just need to figure out how to put a 939 series T-case in the truck. They are stronger and have overdrive high range! Double plus imho.