• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

sprag Q's, and yes I searched

powerhouseduece

Ok guys, I got a question for you all. I was driving yesterday and some a$$ pulled out on me, than stopped! I was doing 45mph. (roads were dried and salted) and he pulled out of the gas station trying to cross 2 lanes of traffic. Im in my deuce and when I stood on the brakes the fronts locked up. This is not the first time this has happned to me. There was one other time that that I had to "lock em' up" because of some Idiot. now here is where the question comes in. My truck is a sprag truck, how bad can it hurt the sprage if just the front tries lock up? Im sure its not good for it, and trust me I dont try to do it that often ;-). It seems to still work ok but im just not sure if I should start getting ready to put the air-shift in.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
I thnk it would only hurt the sprag if you were applying power while the front is locked up.
Given the choice I would take a functional sprag over an airshift unless front lockouts are in your future.

BKubu

Steel Soldiers Supporter
BFR: Just curious about your rationale for preferring a functioning sprag over an air-shift. Can you elaborate? Most guys would prefer the air-shift. I personally have no problems with owing a sprag truck.

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
BFR: Just curious about your rationale for preferring a functioning sprag over an air-shift. Can you elaborate? Most guys would prefer the air-shift. I personally have no problems with owing a sprag truck.
If the sprag is working correctly it is one less thing to think about/ deal with while driving (especially if there are sudden/unexpected changes in traction). I actually swapped out a sprag t-case for an airshift in my truck when I couldn’t get the sprag to function. That being said I would not let sprag vs. airshift be a deciding factor if I were to buy another deuce.

powerhouseduece

BFR, did your sprag truck have harder steering? I drove a air shift truck and I can turn it sitting still, my truck is harder to turn, even while moving. I would think its normaly harder to turn but just wondering.

Im glad I got a powersteering kit on the way!

BFR

Rocket Surgeon
no difference in steering effort from sprag to air shift, but differences due to tire pressure are definitely noticeable.

Barrman

The front tires shouldn't lock up on their own during heavy braking. Theoretically, all 10 tires should lock up at the same time. Check out your rear brakes and adjust them.

That being taken care of. You really shouldn't have any sprag related issues. Just start movement in each direction in 1st or reverse. If you are having trouble steering just sitting still, the sprag has no effect on that. Check the oil in your steering box and put the front tires up to 55 psi. That should make a big difference. Especially if you have a front winch.

I have both styles of cases. I like the sprag. However, there is always the "but what if I coast back while pulling out into the road on an uphill grade with the truck in 1st" fear of screwing it up. That makes me drive it a lot different or should I write cautious than I do the air shift truck. I guess that being good or bad depends of in you are behind me and in a hurry or not. Not that the air shift truck is all that much fleeter of foot.

powerhouseduece

Ok thanks Barrman! my tires are aired at 45psi right now. As for the front tires locking up, the first time it happened, It shocked the heck out of me. I wasent wearing a seat belt and I smashed into the steering wheel. now i where a seat belt! Ill adjust my rear brakes this weekend and find out. Other than this, my sprag works fine, just not as fast top speed as the other trucks.

JasonS

The front tires shouldn't lock up on their own during heavy braking. Theoretically, all 10 tires should lock up at the same time. Check out your rear brakes and adjust them.

That being taken care of. You really shouldn't have any sprag related issues. Just start movement in each direction in 1st or reverse..
You do NOT have to start in first gear because of a sprag xfer case. Gringeltaube? did a nice writeup on this.

Barrman

You are correct. As long as you were going forward when you stopped or at least haven't put the truck in reverse without going to first before going forward in whatever gear you choose to start from.

I figured opening that can of worms wasn't needed for this thread.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks