• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprag substitutes?

73m819

Rock = older than dirt , GA. MAFIA , Dirty
Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
Yes

If you are talking deuce, then use a air shift tcase , the front drive out of the tcase is a in/out clutch not a over running clutch, this ought to work a lot better for you'

If you don't have air, with some thought, I bet you could make the air shift manual, by removing the air piston, making a cover with a seal for the hole, and then connect the shift rod to linkage to the cab

monster ford

Of so if the front is a dif gear ratio then the front diff the from dif would always be spinning slower or faster then the front output and theyed always be fitting each other and that would make a bad combo and no sinse

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
all three drop ins are the same ratio, it is the design of the OVER RUNNING clutch that gives you the Two different rpms

The OVER RUNNING clutch is a oooooooooooold tried and true design that has been used for ever, even used as a reverse brake on machinery, some cranes for power down

Last edited:

monster ford

But that's what I'm saying the front drive shaft will spin the same speed but the transfer case front and rear output will spin at diff speeds they are the same gear ratio but different locking ratio So thats how u get the automatic locking forward fwd

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
but that's what i'm saying the front drive shaft will spin the same speed but the transfer case front and rear output will spin at diff speeds they are the same gear ratio but different locking ratio so thats how u get the automatic locking forward fwd[/quote]
yes

there is a double set of sprages, one forward, one reverse

jasonjc

all three drop ins are the same ratio, it is the design of the OVER RUNNING clutch that gives you the Two different rpms

The OVER RUNNING clutch is a oooooooooooold tried and true design that has been used for ever, even used as a reverse brake on machinery, some cranes for power down
NO look in the TM the front out put grear is not the same as the rear out put.
Thats why you can't just add air to a sprag case. The front out put grears have a diferent tooth count between the air case and the sprag case.

monster ford

Ya I'm just thinking logically you know some one said that the front and rear drive shaft would spin diff speeds but that wouldent work because the front and rear diffs are tue same gears so if the front out put spun the front drive shaft at a diff speed then the rear drive shaft it logically wouldent work unless u put diff gears in the front diff but the Rockwell axles only came with one gear ratio which I believe is like a 672

jasonjc

Ya I'm just thinking logically you know some one said that the front and rear drive shaft would spin diff speeds but that wouldent work because the front and rear diffs are tue same gears so if the front out put spun the front drive shaft at a diff speed then the rear drive shaft it logically wouldent work unless u put diff gears in the front diff but the Rockwell axles only came with one gear ratio which I believe is like a 672
Thats why it has the sprag clutch. It lets the front free wheel untill the rears slip.

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
NO look in the TM the front out put grear is not the same as the rear out put.
Thats why you can't just add air to a sprag case. The front out put grears have a diferent tooth count between the air case and the sprag case.
true, this is ALL PART of the over running clutch design

monster ford

But that's what I'm getting at when the front locks in and it is spinning slower the the rear if wouldent work because the front and rear diff gears are the same the only way that would work is if the diff gears were different that's y I say it the lock in ratio yes the front out pit gear can be smaller the the rear but it could have a bigger gear driving it. Which would cause the front drive shaft to spinn the same speed but wouldent start spinng untill the rear one was spinning faster then the front giving it the automatic 4wd

monster ford

Ok hear is the ratio front 2:137 to 1:00
Rear 1:980 to 1.00 first number is transfer case revolutions 2 number is tire revolutions so u get the same out put front and rear but the rear has to spin in order for the front to kick in but even thow they are spinning diff speeds u get the same out put ratio bit not the same locking ratio which is where u get the automatic 4wd the sprag gears are used for selecting forward and reverse they slip one way and grab the other which is y they are interchangeable. So yet the gears are diff sizes but the output is the same front and rear Figure 4-27. Sprag Equipped Transfer Model T-136-21 -- Rear View. that is where I found the ratios

monster ford

Gear ratio: Whenever gears are used (most automotive transmission of power typically uses gears of some type to do it), we have to understand the gear ratios.* Ratios are expressed as the input rotation and the output rotation of a gearset.* This is calculated by knowing the number of gear teeth on the input gear vs. the output gear.* Simply put, if first gear in the transmission has a ratio of 3.5:1, it means that the input turns 3.5 times for every one time the output turns.*

Said another way, the output gear has 3.5 times as many gear teeth.* This allows a proportional multiplication of power (torque) through that gearset.* Very effective in getting a 4,000 lb car underway from a stop.* On the opposite end of the gear ratios is the “overdrive” gear.* It’s called this because the input side now turns slower than the output side.* This type of ratio is usually used as a top gear (ex: 5th gear in a 5-speed transmission).* An example of an overdrive ratio would be 0:75:1.* This allows the engine to run slower at cruising speed optimizing the fuel economy on that same 4,000 lb vehicle.

This contradicts what u say

73m819

Steel Soldiers Supporter
In Memorial
GT, HOW do you KEEP coming up with all this INFO, it just AMASES me

monster ford

Ok so it does have the same out put on both look at the gears 21t to 34t and 22t to 33t if u do the math they are the same just spin diff speeds

monster ford

If u add the two joining gears 21+34=55 so 55/1
33+22=55 so 55/1 same front and rear just with the diff drive gear dive causes one to spin faster but still same out put both sides

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
GT, HOW do you KEEP coming up with all this INFO, it just AMASES me
LOL... Ron, isn't this part of our hobby: sharing OLD info, adding NEW every day if possible and at the same time trying hard not to forget things faster than we can ever learn them.....!!!!!:)

Seems that some folks here even forgot all about basic algebra...:p

(BTW: It amases me when I see big old military wreckers well kept, alive and in action...![thumbzup])

G.