• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spraying my M1008 with OD Durabak smooth

Dukeboy

Pennsylvania winters have been harsh on my M1008, more than other trucks I've owned. I just replaced rockers, doors, fenders, and wheelwells this time around. I've been coating everything with a couple different products to defend them as I go. frame and misc from cab back was stripped and coated with rustbullet (silver and black). while the bed was off it got cleaned up and coated with rustbullet silver and then durabak. Now I'm spraying the interior and exterior while replacing everything rubber and throwing in some seats from an '08 sierra, maybe fab a console.

when I'm done the entire truck will be coated with Durabak except the bed which is rhinolined. I've used the product for years but this is the first time I've sprayed the smooth version. Will update as I slowly progress, doing as many pieces off the truck as I can. hope to be back together in time for snow.

Attachments

Dukeboy

Yes, DIY bedliner. Has a rubbery feel, stays elastic. hopefully low maintenance. pictures don't show it too well but it has an orange peel texture.

SPCWarning

Looks like it lays pretty flat. Orange peel is ok for a protective coating. Not bad at all. Are the coated parts pictured above still wet or will it have that shine when it's cured?? Also, how many coats of Durabak will you be spraying and how thick? I like the idea, it's like a work glove for the MV !
Thanks,
Jimmy

soule64

It looks great! I have a couple of gallons of DIY liner that I plan on spraying, but I have a couple of questions - first, what did you do for surface preparation? Did you prime first or lat it strait over metal? Also, did you have to reduce it at all? Thanks!

Dukeboy

Pictures are of dry pieces, I didn't expect it to be that shiny, I believe it will dull down with time. I thinned it about 10% with Xylene, and shoot it with a $50 primer gun with a 1.8 tip. My surface prep is sanded with 200 grit and thouroughly wiped down with Xylene. If the existing surface is bonded well I coat over top of it, or where my welds are ground down I coat over bare metal. It's been pretty forgiving with adhering and hiding imperfections. It's not as durable as Line-x, but I've been impressed with it's strength in my other interiors. I bought 2 gallons for this project and plan on laying down 2 coats. Not sure what my final thickness will be. Luckily I can add or repair if need be down the road. On my K5 when I did the interior I thought it quieted down the interior noise a small amount, It may have been wishfull thinking however.

Dukeboy

Still in progress, got sidetracked with another project but I'll try to update soon. working on interior now, fabbed a frame that the 2 buckets and console mount to and will slide as one on the old bench mounts. couldn't make the '08 mounts work. installing seat heaters, some guages, new glass and rubber etc.

Dukeboy

Got some more work done to the interior, front and back glass installed (that was a pain). Mounted the seats with seat heaters under the cordura seat covers, haven't decided if I am reusing the headrests or not. Installed a 1/2" marine plywood insert covered in acu camo fabric with a smittybuilt tailgate cover for a jeep mounted in the middle for storage behind the seats. tried to cover my severely cracked dashpad with durabak, it came out ok but my prep wasn't good enough and it fisheyed on me, probably left over armor all. put a small metal tray in the middle to cover a hole and hold random stuff while driving. doors should be going back on soon, I still need to rebuild my wind windows so they work, PO sealed them shut.

Attachments