• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

spring brake problem on the M923A2

The HUlk

From what I understand the priority valve on the wet tank will disrupt air from accesories like the horn and wipers. Mine stuck and that was the symptom along with the air not blowing off and constantly building. Took it off and worked some ATF into it by actioning the spring with a small diameter rod.

I would think a failure in the parking brake air circuit may cause the brakes to not release when pressure is good.

image.jpg

Last edited:

wheelspinner

Steel Soldiers Supporter
You also might just have stuck drums. Block the wheels and get under there with a good size hammer and give them all a good whack. This problem has the same feel as spring brakes not releasing. It's fairly common with wedge brakes if they don't get used a lot.

tractors0130

Double check that the vent on the front right glad hand (pass. side) is not plugged.Thought my spring brakes were sticking until I found the vent hole in the right glad hand plugged solid. There should not be a valve on this side either. This would be the easiest to do before you check the quick release valve located behind the drivers step or the actual brake wedges.

Hard Head

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ran into a braking problem last month. Every time I braked, the truck seemed to struggle to pull the slightest hill. 20 miles and I could fry eggs on all 4 rear rims. The vent hole was plugged on the glad hand! I am going to repack bearings before I put it back on the road! One little thing causes a lot of work!

tractors0130

There is vent hole in the glad hand cover on the right front gladhand with a spring loaded vent cap on the outside similar to the vents on your diffs., if the vent is plugged your brakes will start to drag. This vent is suppose to be open allowing air to escape.

Doug Roberts

Ray glad hand.jpg there was no vent on the glad hand. Opened it up and the brake is symptom free. Of course we can't leave it open. Maybe the vent is on the frame ? This truck is in another state miles away BTW

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks