• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Spring seat back

jasonjc

Does anyone have or have made a new back for the spring seat???? It seem to be curved. Does it need to be? Is it plywood? How do you bent it if it is?? :? :? What kind of foam do you use?

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It is curved for comfort. If I were to build one it would have half the thickness of foam for increased cab room. That back foam just doesn't need to be that thick.

If you are not looking to be "original" I have done some initial research to convert 2 spring seats to a single bench seat using the spring bases. It appears the rear fold seat out of a 97 Ford F250 extended cab can be easily modified to to fit across both suspension seats for the bottom and back. The foam is a little thinner and would allow more room in height and depth to steering wheel while keeping the suspension seat and turning it into a bench.

My only issue is Im not sure how it will ride connected to the passenger seat when done.

gene

I recently revamped my seat with close-cell foam (approx 1/2 inch thick) layered to comfort and stitched together. I was not looking for a stock look however.

As far as the curved wood goes, one option is to get two layers of plywood half the thickness your looking to achieve. Glue these together with high quality wood glue on a press that has been made with the arc you desire. You will need multiple c-clamps for the edges and you need to make your curved piece larger that the end product so you can cut to size with the finished product edges being well glued. If you don't want to build a press you can also place two pieces of 2x4 on either side of a 4x4/place plywood #1 on top centered of course/add coating of glue smeared around evenly/place plywood #2 on top of glued layer and then add weight(sand bags or other such stuff) evenly on either side of the blank. the wood will bend and in 24 hours should be strong and maintain its shape. different wood will have different memory of course and over time some flattening out will occur. you can over bend to compensate for this. hope this helps to some degree.

Gene

rdixiemiller

All the ones I have use curved metal backs. I may have an extra back panel in the basement, I do have a pair of cushions I made from plywood and golf car seat foam if you need them. They were plush, but too thick for me. Put me too close to the steering wheel.