• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Springfield, IL road trip-M35A2/Unimog

saddamsnightmare

May 21st, 2001.

Thanks, Gents:

Now its time to get all that work done on these trucks that was put aside due to unemployment. I actually think the Unimog will make it under her own power, they just were never known in Europe as distance running trucks, but then, they're really not "Trucks" in the conventional sense of the word. Most European Armies that had the S404.114 generally limited them to 60KM/PH for maintenance reasons, and the combined transmission/transfer case does get warm after 50 or 60 miles of road running (like you'd notice, sitting on top of the engine doghouse and behind the radiator top tank in the cab), and so far the longest she had gone in one run is 120+ miles Dallas to Reno, at 60/70 KM/PH, and she got about 18 MPG loaded with 5 Unimog tires.....
The deuce has been on 250+ mile trips with the M105A2, and had no issues other thena leaking rear main seal, since corrected..... I figure 45 MPH on the level should be more to her taste anyway..... Now I'm trying to figure an easy way to mount the digital still camera to get cab and road shots along the way without me having to mind it, or just get a cheap movie camera (digital) and do some of the high and I hope, no, low points of an MV Hegira....
This should be memorable, but then if 1909 Model T's can go coast to coast, what's 745 miles between friends.....[thumbzup]

saddamsnightmare

May 22nd, 2010.

Wolf_Dose:

Thanks for the comments. The Unimog S404.114 in the states is more onsidered a high speed tractor or rather a low speed truck. Very few of us over here operate them for extended trips on their own wheels, preferring to have them trucked or haul them on a trailer. As I have neither the trailer to fit the deuce, as it will be occupied pulling the M105A2... The Unimog's gonna have to hoof it on it's own. The Interstates around here have 70MPH speed limits, and in Texas that means most of them do about 80 MPH, so a Unimog almost never goes on an Interstate unless it has the Utra High Speed axles, and I almost doubt that any S404.'s got those unless they were fire trucks or ambulances, and mine's a plain old Cargo Unimog, so it seems happy at about 60 KM/PH ( about 38/40 MPH approximately). I do note considerable heat rise in the transmission after an hour or so of that running, but then the engine and radiator covers and tanks in the cab doesn't help on a 100*F day either.....

We'll see if the Mercedes boys at Gaggenau had built in my Unimog what it takes to make a road trip in the 1963 Swiss S404.114....:grd:

saddamsnightmare

June 18th, 2010.

Gents:

It looks like the trip with the duece and trailer to Springfield will occur the week of June 29-July 2nd, 2010. Right now the deuce is getting the radiator flushed, new hoses, new compressor belt, axle bearing packings checked, and brakes adjusted. The new 11:00X20 NDCCs seem to have shifted her speed from speedometer reading 50 MPH to actual rolling speed of 54.5-55 MPH, so I will have to take cognizance of that fact on the road. With an empty truck and partially loaded trailer (1/2 ton) she will hit 60 MPH with the pedal on the stop on the level and the tach reading 2400-2450 RPM's, so no doubt loaded she will run slower. I might aim for 50 MPH over the ground, but I doubt she will really take much more then 45 MPH for very long...
The Unimog's looking for a home with a military collector, failing that, I will likely have it shipped up at the same time my tractor and its attachments get shipped out.....I'll be looking for someone with a flat deck trailerthat can hold a 5000 LB tractor, 2 - 1000 lb mowers (for the tractor) and a 6200 LB Unimog. Probably will require a conventional tractor to actually handle the loads.... The last HotShot wizard made the trip from COLO with the deuce and a four door Jeep wagon on an inclined bed trailer, and complained about the "Monster" he had loaded on board (the M35A2)... This wizard was given the dimensions and weight, I guess he just didn't believe them....
I also got my convoy light from Adelmann's hooked up, a good deal on an actual Uncle Sam kit made in 1990 for Desert Storm......! I should not get run over when those are operating....fat lady sings