• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprout is home! Stumps is a proud MV'r at last!

stumps

Hi Gang!

There are some things you just can't know about until you do them... Recovering a deuce is one of those things. I am sorry there are no recovery pictures, but I hope my story and your imagination will be enough. Having no time to shoot pictures is one of those things I just couldn't know.

I went through all of the preliminaries, rustled up insurance with Gulfway, got a trip tag from... well it was completely legal, but I will talk about that in PM's only. Gathered up fluids, filters, tools, and other supplies that I thought might be needed, and waited for my friend Gary to come and pick me up.

Gary is a night person, a disabled vet, mechanic, and a retired truck driver, so he picked me up exactly 16 hours before we were supposed to be at Ft McCoy, which is a 16 hour road trip!

We left Maryland at about 3:30pm, and arrived at Mike's gate at Ft McCoy at about 8:30am. I'd about had the stuffing beat out me from the trip, but Gary was still going strong...in a Gary sort of way. There was frost and ice all over Sprout, but to me, it seemed like the sun was out, and it was starting to melt away.

Mike was a treat! He met me with a warm smile, and a handshake. He had already started up his jump truck, and had it waiting, but we never needed it. The Group 31 sized batteries I brought went in snug (you have to unwarp the plastic battery case), but safe, and after complaining a couple of times about it being cold, Sprout started right up, and ran beautifully. Somehow, I think I remember being told that her diesel tank was empty, but either I am mistaken, or there is a diesel fairy that visits tired travelers, and fills deuce tanks while they sleep.... Sprout's tank was full! Diesel fairy's can't really exist, can they?

For the record, I am sure that I was mistaken about the tanks being empty.

The brakes responded well to a pressure bleeding using the SS patented garden sprayer bleeder, and very little of the 1/2 gallon of DOT5 I put in the sprayer tank. There were signs that one wheel cylinder had been peeing for a long, long time. We left the sprayer attached on the off chance that our brake system was going to be one of those non sealed hydraulic types.... It quit leaking before we left Ft McCoy.

The first scary disappointment was when I discovered that one tire had a torn valve stem (and wouldn't hold air), one tire had a split side, and one had a large chunk of tread that was missing down to the cord.... Not good! I was prepared to admit defeat, and leave, but my friend Gary, veteran of many a blown tire, was pretty sure that the worst that would happen is we would leave a little rubber trash on the side of the road, and have 8 spare wheels to finish the trip. "You won't even notice it! Let's go, we're burning daylight!" he kept saying.

As a concession to my fears, he drove Sprout out of Ft. McCoy... Gary is a true friend!

Mike at Ft. McCoy pointed us to the next treasure we were to find on our trip: Rod Feltz in Marshfield, Wisconsin.

Rod Feltz... What can I say? Those of you that know him, already know. His place is an oasis for MV'rs in Marshfield, Wisconsin... And we arrived there after Mike had called him, told him our problem, and asked him to please treat us really nicely. It doesn't get any better than that!

It turns out that Rod treats everyone really nicely! It is just his pleasant way.

He set us up with some used, but good enough tires(on rim) for $10 each, loaned us the space, and the tools to do the deed, and let my friend Gary browse his acres of MV scrap.

I, on the other hand, was about to get my first time at the wheel of a deuce. I was asked to move her onto the slab, a fairly easy task... or it should have been. Well, in my defense, I was about on my 30'th hour, having been up since 7 the previous morning, and I misjudged distances (a deuce does a lot to make you think it is just a pickup truck), and I drove off the edge of the driveway, and my front left wheel slipped over the edge and into the drainage ditch! Damn! I took one look, and realized that I was going to have to raise that wheel 18 inches, and not tear up Rod's driveway. Knowing that I was out of my league, I didn't even try. I went straight to Rod for help. He smiled, and said, "That happens all the time... We have plenty of stuff that can pull around here!" He took over, and with the help of a skid loader, and another driver, Sprout was out of the ditch in quick order.

Sprout must have been pretty scared by the ditch incident, because she peed in the ditch, and I spent the next hour removing all of the GL5 axle oil she left in the water. I was sure that she must have a really, really, bad axle seal... worse than I had ever seen before..., and I was about defeated! (remember no sleep for 30+ hours) I tried to sell her to Rod, but Rod is a businessman that sells MV parts, and has no use for running deuces, only scrap deuces... He was quick to offer a cash price, but a scrap dealer's price.... I was willing to take a loss, but not that big of a loss... Meanwhile, my friend Gary was stacking up things he just --had-- to have... about a ton and 1/2 of things he just had to have!

[About the oil leak: I discovered that the leak was caused by a government change order on the deuce! The original front brake hoses are a touch short for their duty on a hyper extending suspension such as is on the deuce. That is why they were all being changed to 5 ton hoses. One of the interim change orders suggested removing the clamp that held the axle side of the hose to the axle housing. Guess what is on the other side of the bolt holes that held those clamps? A full load of GL5 differential oil is what! They removed the clamp bolts, but didn't put the bolts back, leaving a bolt hole into the top of the axle housing for oil to pee out of, if you ever happen to tilt the deuce more than 10 or 20 degrees.

The axle seals are probably just fine. I'll be changing that oil, though. An open hole allows oil out, and water in.

If your deuce has had those clamps removed CHECK THE BOLT HOLES!]

My friend Gary had been busy while I was messing with axles, cleaning up Sprout's indiscretion, and changing tires. He had made a big pile of truck tires on rims, deuce bumpers, hoists, and other stuff I dare not mention!

As far as Gary was concerned, Sprout WAS coming home with us! End of discussion! She was the only truck we had that could hold all the crap that Gary bought from Rod Feltz.

I continued to fall into my lack of sleep induced panic trip into the what if's, doom and gloom, when Gary took me aside and said, "look, if it stops somewhere, and won't go, we'll tow it to the side, or someplace safe, and I'll come back for you with my dump truck and tow bar... it'll be expensive, but we will be fine!"

"You're driving Chuck, get over it, we'll be fine!"

He was right.

Because of my worrying about breakdowns, and because Gary had filled the bed of MY truck with so much very heavy stuff, I decided to give up the idea of traveling further north (to Rhinelander), to pick up some of my stuff, and to start heading south towards home.

I drove Sprout about 1200 miles. Outside of a few light bulbs that wouldn't light some of the time, a speedometer that turns backwards, a heater blower that sometimes ran sometimes didn't, an air assist cylinder that wasn't...assisting, and a need for new wiper blades, Sprout behaved more perfectly than any truck I have ever owned. In a major mechanical systems sense, she was brand new. The engine really only had 115 hours on it when I left Ft McCoy. I could feel it breaking in on the trip.

When I couldn't safely drive anymore, I slept on the workbench in the back of Sprout's bed amongst all of Gary's tires, and awoke feeling creaky, but good, and continued driving. Surprisingly, I felt more refreshed, and felt physically and spiritually, better when I was behind the wheel of MY deuce, than when I stepped down onto the pavement. I have never felt that way in ANY vehicle that I have ever driven.

I arrived home, tired, but with a smile on my face that was every bit as goofy as the smile some GI painted on Sprout's bumper when she was christened with her name. That anonymous GI loved his truck, and I now know why! She has a good heart, and is happy to be driving again.

I hope I can do as well by Sprout as those that came before me did. I hope I can give her the life of luxury she deserves after 40 years in the service of our country.... A service, for which she received no recognition.

To Mike at GL, aka Mike at Ft McCoy: You are a treat! It is a great thing you are doing finding loving homes for these running deuces. You treat your customers like they really matter to you, and I want you to know that your flexibility, and grand treatment was appreciated by me! Keep up the good work, and I hope that GL comes to appreciate you, as much as your customers and I already do! Every single person I have talked to about their Ft McCoy experience has asked to be remembered to you. A few new to GL, are hoping they can buy something at Ft. McCoy just to meet you. Good job!

To DR GREG: Greg thank you for looking at Sprout for me. Your inspection, and pictures helped me to bring the right stuff. Your pleasant attitude helped me to go through with this trip. I am sorry about that little cloud burst I PM'd in your direction when everything on my side of this deal was going all wrong... It worked out in the end, and I am very happy I went through with this! I am a deuce sort of guy!

And finally, to all the folks that generously offered to help me out, if I needed help on the road: Thank you very much! I will do my best to pass your good will on to the next newbie that needs a hand. It turns out that Sprout didn't need much help to make this trip... I am sure that she has done much bigger things in her past, and this trip was just a tiny little side diversion.

My wife doesn't like Sprout. Not even a tiny little bit. On seeing Sprout for the first time, she announced that Sprout looks even worse than in the pictures...

Jealosy? Maybe... I have never witnessed a reaction anything like this in the 27 years she and I have been together. Sprout and I are going to have to do something really magnificent to win her over...

Chuck (aka Stumps)

PS, to anyone that feels the need to castigate me for my lack of load out pictures: Please remember your first time. If you had enough time, and energy, to shoot pictures, you probably were letting someone else do all of the work. I had the camera, but I had neither the energy, nor the time to use it. Sorry, but that is how it was with my trip.

Last edited:

hndrsonj

Senior Chief/Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So do you have any more info on the place in Marshfield? Never heard of him. I will be headed that way in a few months and would like to go.:wink:

stumps

I'm assuming that sprout is a shop van?
Sprout is a M35A2. At some point some unit decided it needed more shop vans, and less canvas replacement, so they took some steel siding and a whole bunch of screws and screwed the siding onto the original bows. They also used plywood to close off the front and rear... A real redneck shop van was born!

She even has a Wilton Vise bolted to a plate on the bumper.

-Chuck

stumps

1200 miles? You deserve the Iron Butt Award!
You think so? What if I tell you that my deuce has a box seat, and not a spring seat?

I am kind of used to long stretches at a manual steered vehicle, as I routinely spend 6-8 hours at a stretch on my farm tractor, and it has a skinny little pad on a steel pan seat.

Both of these seats seem to fit my skinny little butt pretty well.

It's funny, but I felt great when I was driving, but when I got out and stepped onto the pavement, I felt pretty drained. Usually, I feel drained when I am driving, and paralyzed when I get out... That appears not to be so when I am driving deuces.

-Chuck

dittle

It's funny, but I felt great when I was driving, but when I got out and stepped onto the pavement, I felt pretty drained. Usually, I feel drained when I am driving, and paralyzed when I get out... That appears not to be so when I am driving deuces.

Yeah, they'll have that effect on you with your first one. Now for the 2nd, 3rd, 4th, etc You get the idea :razz:

Josh

so now that its home, and what not, think you could grab some pictures of this thing, im intregued about the makeshift box. thanks.

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Nice truck, and a great adventure story to tell over and over at the first rally you get to go to...Ya know...Maryland isn't too awfully far from the GA rally next October.

I'm glad you made it back in one piece and that Sprout made the journey well...the deuces are truly a joy to drive around

roscoe

Great story. Glad the trip worked out for you and your assistant. I'm a little disapointed that you didn't abandon "sprout" somewhere near me though.:twisted: Are you going to leave the back on? I got 2 deuces like that from McCoy and removed the backs. Definately lots of screws.

Last edited:

stumps

Great story. Glad the trip worked out for you and your assistant. I'm a little disapointed that you didn't abandon "sprout" somewhere near me though.:twisted: Are you going to leave the back on? I got 2 deuces like that from MCcoy and removed the backs. Definately lots of screws.
Hi Roscoe,

I sure am sorry that I couldn't have done that for you...well, not really, but I feel your pain.

Sprout is a good strong runner. Her engine is new, and runs smooth and clean. Barely a puff of steam comes out of the crankcase vent tube out the bottom. I started her cold, and when she lit off, the stack gases were clear the whole time. Never any smoke of any color... it was about 35F when I started her up the first time. In contrast, my friend's Dodge Ram PU truck was blowing white for 15 minutes after he started it up each morning.

As a point of note, the oil pressure is 60 at idle, and 90 at 2000 rpm when cold, and settles down to 30 at idle, and 60 at 2000+ rpm when hot. It takes exactly 12 seconds for pressure to first show up on the gauge on first start up. I think I will be going the spin on oil filter route.

I plan to take off the "Kmart M109" shelter cover. I hope to refurbish the bows and eventually put a nice vinyl cover in the Kmart M109 cover's place.

The recovery happened, but the adventure is just beginning.

-Chuck

roscoe

I was able to save the bows and troop seats on one of the trucks, however, niether had headboards. One didn't have the troopseats, just the bows. Many of the screws twist off leaving half the screw in the metal supports. This makes it difficult to get the bows out with spliting the wood. I'm still looking for one headboard. Thats great you got such a clean running truck. I've been very happy with the 3 I bought from McCoy. I'll have to give another thumbs up to Mike in McCoy also.

Some of the troop seats are cut at the ends or have the seats portion removed. Being a custom mod. seems to be custom to each truck. The headache rack missing is the one constant of this mod.
I was going to use mine for a Rally Camper, but I did a S250, on a trailer, camper instead.
My truck was an Engineering Co. truck, out of Onalaska Wi. It was well serviced, is tight and runs great. It is my "Spare Deuce" and I have not yet decided its fate. For now it works great to store cammo netting support poles in.

Attachments

stumps

Mine has a vise on the front bumper, and stenciled in the shelter door is the note: P.M.C.S. Doesn't mean: Park the Mothers. Call the Shop!

It is missing all of the troop seats, and the headache board. It has a bench hinged to the front wall of the shelter.

I really like your description: Kmart 109. That fits what they did to a "T". They couldn't afford the real thing, so they spent a couple of hours of some soldier's time letting him make a hard tent in the back of a M35A2.

-Chuck

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks