• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Sprucing up the Gull Wing

How should I complet the exterior of my Gull Wing Shop Van?

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Mike/wsucougarx,

I put a sugar scoop on my front passenger side bumper when I first got my deuce.
And I think you are right that that is the best place to locate it on the gull wing, although I haven't seen a picture of a gull wing with an antenna.

On a semi-related note, I have some M109a3 questions for you, as I think M109a3 window are a possible good candidate for a transplant to the gull wing.
1) Have you ever removed one of you M109a3 windows?
2) Is the frame screwed in or welded?
3) If you have the time could you gra a picture of the inside and the dimensions of the windows?
4) Does it have shutters to block the light?

Thanx

quarkz

Supreme Galactic Cleric
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Woo Hoo!!!:jumpin:

We are up to 48 votes on the pole. And it is easy to see who the MV purists are.:grin:

But alas, none of the other gull wing owners have chimed in with any answers.

So hopefully the support will start flowing otherwise I will just go with my favorite paint scheme that I had not mentioned earlier, 'The LadyBugg'. [thumbzup]

Spruce up the fire engine red paint job, add random sized large black circles and ovals and put two huge 6707 whip antennas on the back of the cap using convoy light mounts. Then tether them toward the front bumper. And viola' The super ladybugg, and she can put her wings up too. rofl

Attachments

RAYZER

quarkz! I think your gullwing lools cool and has great potential! I like it red but red might clash with the seafoam green interior,you could paint the whole thing seafoam green:) I do like the idea of windows in the gull wings,just not those, the windows in my m146 trailer are the same as the m109a3 windows and might look like they belonged, the 109 windows are apparently 22"w x 25"h and accommodate a 2" wall, (not exact), they are double payned and accept blackout pannels, they bolt in, I have not taken one out but look easy to remove and install.that gullwing box would make an excellent camper!
:grd:

wsucougarx

Mike/wsucougarx,

On a semi-related note, I have some M109a3 questions for you, as I think M109a3 window are a possible good candidate for a transplant to the gull wing.
1) Have you ever removed one of you M109a3 windows?
2) Is the frame screwed in or welded?
3) If you have the time could you gra a picture of the inside and the dimensions of the windows?
4) Does it have shutters to block the light?

Thanx
I have not yet removed the window. However, on the exterior the window is held on by a hinge at the top of the frame. This allows the window to be opened for ventilation. So there are only 4-6 screws actually mounted to the van. On the inside, the metal screen and window arm are held in place by a number of small sheet metal screws as well.
There really isn't a frame per say. They are pretty much just openings they made in the van. My truck may be different from the older 109's. My truck is actually an '88. I think the older trucks utilized wood frames.
My truck does have the black out panels and it does completely keep the light from showing outside the truck. They just slide up and down. I'll get out today and get some measurements for you.

Varyag

Is that what you are going to be driving to the rally? Maybe this time I'll be able to keep up.

I am so glad i didn't get into a bidding battle with you on that 109 mike. I was like a click away from trying. You are treating her better then I could have.

ed_watts

McMullag -- or anyone -- what is the model number of that gullwing trailer? I have the truck, and I have been looking for a matching trailer for years. I saw one up in Oxnard, California, several years ago, but, when I got off the freeway, I was unable to locate it...despite two hours' worth of looking.

If I have the model number, looking for one, especially on-line, becomes a great deal easier.

For what it's worth, I am what is known as "hardcore"; my five-ton was my daily driver for five years -- in civilian life. My XYL thinks it's great, but she much prefers her Corolla; 36 mpg vs. 4.2 mpg -- no contest. I still drive it sometimes, but most of my getting around is on two wheels now.

If anyone has one of those trailers for sale, I have cash.

Yeah, I know -- first post asking for a favor. I promise that I have things to share back as well.

Thank you.

bigjoe

I would go with windows, but not those windows. I like the 109 idea. I would also use the fender mounted antenna bracket wsucougarx mentioned. For color, I like tan, but I think that OD green would look good too. I'm not a big fan of the red. I think you have one he!! of a nice truck.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks