• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Squealing Belt Question

ssdvc

M1009 - Stock set up, all new belts.

My question is this: All warmed up, she doesn't squeal. If I start her after she has been sitting for a while, or over night, in any weather, I will get belt squeal. Now, here is the quicker. They only squeal while the alternators are charging and the glow plugs are in cycle. Once the glow plugs finish up, the squealing stops. Could be 70 degrees or 20 degrees, the squeal is there, it just last longer in the cold and only while the glow plugs are doing their thing. The belts are pretty tight and it did it when I had the old ones on and does it after the new ones were put in.

Is this normal? Is there anything I can do to eliminate this?

Thanks.

Ue413

I have the same thing, not every time, but it will also last beyond glow plug activation. I always thought it was the fan clutch as belts are relatively new and snug. Since it always goes away, I've lived with it.

cucvrus

Drive the M1009 to the parts store. Have tools to change the belts. Get belts that you think are close. Put the belts on and trn the pulleys on the alternator with a wrench if you have to to get the belt on. The tighter the belt with the alternators loose the better. Now tighten the belts squeal gone. I never had 1 set number for belts. I like the tightest I can get and leave a lot of room for adjustment. I do it at autozone, napa or hometown auto parts. Works everytime. Bring it down I will tighten the belts. :)

KamikazeKunze

I get that exact thing happening.....when I forget to flip the main power kill switch. I tried tightening the crap out of my alternator belt and it still slips. I think my one alternator gets hammered trying to recharge the batteries.
I’ve since loosened it and flip the switch and all is well.

cucvrus

I will be willing to bet you have the glow plug resistors bypassed. I have also changed the pulleys to solids to help get better belt tension. But getting tight belts right up front and getting them tight right away has helped me a lot. I don't have any numbers that will fit every time. I just try them till they are almost tight when the pulleys are completely loose and go from there. Sometimes requiring to turn the alternator with a wrench to get the belt on. That's tight.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks