• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

squealing belt?

m242brushmaster1

This is probably a dumb question, but here it goes. When I flip on the acc switch in the deuce, I here a squealing noise and then it stops when I turn the acc off. Now could that be the belt or a bearing going bad in the alternator?

phil2968

Mine has started to squeal a little after start up. Going to install new belts and keep these in the box for spares. The load on the altenator is greatest just after start up, belts can squeal then. Turning off the master switch kills the alternator and the squeal. Hope this helps.

m242brushmaster1

Yes, when the deuce is first started up, it will squeal but I let it idle for 5 minuets and the squealing stops. When the master switch (the switch us around here call the acc) is on it squeals and once turned off the noise stops.

steelandcanvas

Check the Alternator, with the belt off, make sure the pulley rotates freely. A friend emailed me about this same problem last night, his alternator had froze up.

Last edited:

Jimma

I had the exact same problem. Squeeling on start up that sometimes stopped after the truck warmed up. It only did it with the accessory / power switch turned on or in the up position. It is easily fixed. Its a loose belt on the generator, might not look loose with the naked eye but you will find it is. All you have to do is loosen the bolts on the generator / alternator push it as far to towards the passenger fender as it will comfortably go then tighen the bolts. I pushed mine with a 2x4 and held it while a buddy tightened the bolts. Its a quick fix and the problem never has re occured. That was over a year ago on my 68 Jeep Kaiser M35A2.

phil2968

Just make sure the bottom bolts are loose before you pull with that 2x4! You can break the ears off the alt. Ask Doghead how his worked out for him.

Jimma

Yeah, we loosened all the bolts, pushed but not too hard, then tightened it all up. No problems, no embarassing squeeling anymore.

Barneyszoo

If you rub a bar of soap on the sides of the belt it should stop squeeling, that will be the belt you should replace. Belts get glazed and lose traction on the pulleys and when the acc is under load the belt will slip and make noise.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Accessory switch, yes. A2 and A3. It does help when we use proper/common terminology. TMs are good for that.

Attachments

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks