• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

SS Newbie Here, Thinking about a Deuce!!!

SimpleMindedJohn

:-DHey everyone,
The names John. I am Active Duty Air Force and am looking for fun project/truck. I have been a visitor on this site for a couple weeks reading up about the deuce. Cant seem to get it out of my head, it's that dang MV fever! Just wanted to introduce myself to you all and ask for your experience and knowledge as I start my 6x6 journey!!

Scarecrow1

Hi John,
Welcome to the site . I like you am fairly new to SS, not to the world just this site . Im 53 just so you know its never to late to get the fever. I'd like to say that this is a group of great guys that know their stuff and are always willing to help I'm looking for a Deuce myself and this site has provided me with the most informative info you can find. I like the fact that almost all of the members are very polite. Very seldom do you see any harsh words or cursing , this is a nice change from the other sites out there. I think you will like it here Good luck .

JTugwell

Welcome! im pretty new myself. this site has a great deal of info/people to educate you in these vehicles. you're right it is a fever, but a good one! you'll enjoy it.

SimpleMindedJohn

Thanks guys, I have been looking at cucv and m880 series and all sorts of fun trucks, but can't seem to get old 6x6 outta my head. Looking at prices it seems almost cheaper to go ahead and get the deuce vs a traditional chevy or 5/4 ton. Anyone in the oklahoma/Texas region have any places I can check some out? All the Deuces on base are locked in the cage, we probably have 300+ all with the super singles. If any of you have deuces for sale hit me up, we have a few listed on craigslist but I am anal (No pun intended) about finding that one perfect deal haha. Again thanks!!

-John:-D

tx399999

Go fot the deuce you won't regret it. Look in the cassifieds for streetbikedepot or send him a pm and let him know you're looking. I bought ny truck from him and he's a great guy to buy from. His shop is in Tuttle and he has great trucks at a fair price. My truck has been has been great the only problem is once you get one you won't want to do anything but work on it. Welcome to the sight and good luck.

SimpleMindedJohn

sent pms, Wondering how sweet it would be to drive on and off base in a deuce every day (Tinker AFB, OK) Would definitely have to use the truck gate im sure... Thanks for the contacts btw hopefully they got something cool for Johnny!!!

papabear

GA Mafia Imperial 1SG
John...forget about the little stuff...it will just feed your craving temporarily.
Jump in at the top and get a 5ton:wink:

Cargo, tractor, wrecker etc...just get one...you will always be glad you did:-D

SimpleMindedJohn

What I really want is something I can use as an every day driver if need be, but also be able to go to mudstock and tear it up in the mud, maybe something with a camper in the bed. I like bobbed and 6x6, maybe should invest in 2 mhmmmm... Let me know if you guys see any deals that just scream out to you "Wow I met this guy named John who seems pretty cool, maybe I should hook him up on this sweet ride..." hahaha... but no seriously if you guys know of anyone reputable and honest, let me know I started scratchin the itch and I wont be satisfied until I'm buzzin down the road with ear defenders on sweating my arse off in the oklahoma sun imagining a radio or cd player in my wonderful deuce...

SimpleMindedJohn

Not really a good idea to use a Deuce as a "daily driver". Fuel consumption, insurance requirements, etc. It would be cool occaisionally to show off to your Buds at work though!:wink:
I seen a guy at mudstock, OK this year who said his bobbed deuce gets 12ish mpg and insurance is pretty cheap. I live on base in base housing approx 1 mile from work... wouldn't be driving more than 2-3 miles a day. Im selling my hummer to fund my project, so might need to be an everyday driver for a while til I get another vehicle. (Wife wont give up her truck...)

WyoDeuce

Hi John, I just drove my first deuce home today and it was GREAT! I waited over a year till I placed a bid on a good truck in a location that was close. Glad I did because it is an awesome truck. The pics are on the"select trucks on hold GL WHAT??" thread on page 29. Good luck finding a truck.

Last edited:

SimpleMindedJohn

There appears to be a decent looking M35A2 Army 6x6 with winch with 80% tread tires that a nice fellow on here PM'ed me about. Only prob is it needs some work on the brakes... How hard and expensive are working on the brakes on this rig?