• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

St Louis mechanic recommendations

chief1983

Probably going to need to take my truck to a shop (diesel-oriented) to get some help troubleshooting and for some more serious work. Looking for someone who may just charge a fair diagnostic fee, and credit all/part of that to any repairs I do have them do. Also looking for a place nearby that does IP rebuilds and service, doesn't need to be the same place. If any members live around here and would want to take a look at it that'd be great too, always looking to meet some local MV owners. Just saw an M1009 in Wentzville on the parkway this afternoon in fact, and I know another one that was at Cabella's last fall. Have yet to see a deuce owner since I started paying attention.

that1028guy

I do most of my own work, I'm up in Florissant. I tow for a living and I will start asking around a out some shops. The one good shop I knew of I don't think is there anymore. What are you needing to do?

chief1983

Diagnostics mostly, as I haven't been able to find out what exactly is wrong with my truck yet. I'm afraid it might need a new torque converter, and if so then I guess I'd have to go from there to see how many funny noises that fixed.

chief1983

It suddenly got very loud at lower RPMs, and there's a bad clicking sound near the torque converter area. Oil pressure's good, fluids are full, and it feels like it drives ok. There was a missing nut on the starter, but putting a new one on didn't fix the clicking sounds, instead it might have gotten worse so I'm wondering if the starter needs to be re-shimmed. The flex plate looks fine though, all bolts are tight, no cracks or missing teeth or anything. Steering pump looks solid too, someone said it could be missing bolts or something too which might cause that type of sound, but no such luck.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
Same here. I live in St Peters but work in Bridgeton. Im also a regular at Cabellas (Mills Mall). I work at a deisel shop on the A.N.G. base on Lambert. Let me know if I can help.

ssgtcampbell77

Staff Sergeant
EJ, sorry for not calling but yesterday was my friggin anniversary and I forgot cuz I was doing the injecters on my CUC. Now Im in the doghouse and gotta make up for it today. I'll give you a holler tomorrow afternoon.

chief1983

Now that the weather's warming up, the truck starts nice so I took it camping last night. I am pretty sure it's a failing torque converter, and I say failing because it would seem to be getting worse, as in making more and louder noises the more I drive it, so I'm probably going to keep that to a minimum until I can sort that out.