• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

STA Superlug 9.00x16 tires on my M1008

jatonka

Have you driven it a while now to see how cruising speed has improved? Fuel mileage improved? Does it have enough power on the hills? How much do the tires cost? Where can I buy them? I have 2 M1008s, one is my plow truck, the other is my go to meetin' truck. I really want taller but not wide tires, I think. JT out

Attachments

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I want to know the same things jatonka wants to know. Increased speed? Fuel economy? etc

Dieselsmoke

I've been running them a little over a year on one of my trucks. Nice increase in speed, 65mph no problem, 70's pushing it pretty hard. 2" add a leaf in the front made my truck sit nice and level and didn't have to do anything to the fenders. Had it crossed up pretty good off road and never any rubbing issues. Been trying to find another set, not easy to find at least here on the west coast. Would be a lot nicer if they made a radial and a stiffer sidewall.

Dieselsmoke

Forgot to mention, these tires are wearing very nicely. Mine are tube type, but they are available tubeless. They are awesome in the snow!!!

scrambled

I got a set of 9.00r16 michelin xs radials that I am going to put on my m105 when I swap the axle. Toby Sexton tire in Loganville, Ga had a pile of them for 85 bucks each. The tread is like the xl series but with more blocks and less voids. I havent tried them yet, but they might go nicely on my 1028...

solarmon

Have you driven it a while now to see how cruising speed has improved? Fuel mileage improved? Does it have enough power on the hills? How much do the tires cost? Where can I buy them? I have 2 M1008s, one is my plow truck, the other is my go to meetin' truck. I really want taller but not wide tires, I think. JT out
I emailed the Specialty Tires of America factory (http://www.stausaonline.com/light-truck/superlug.html), and they send me to my regional distributor. ..Tyres International of Sparks NV. .a mere 700 miles from where I live in Moab, UT. Tires were about $200, including shipping, and came with the flaps. Got the tubes from Gemplers (http://www.gemplers.com/product/1078P5/900x16-Inner-Tube-TR77A-Valve-Type). Nice thing is, they fit on the stock rims. . .but I had to bend the valve stems some to make them work

Sure helps on the highway, having that extra diameter, and still does just FINE on hills. .too soon to tell anything about mileage, but I expect it will improve some.

Last edited:

solarmon

Forgot to mention, these tires are wearing very nicely. Mine are tube type, but they are available tubeless. They are awesome in the snow!!!
When I ordered, all they had were the tube-type, but they were planning a production run of tubeless soon. Personally, I'll take the tubes any day, especially when lowering tire pressure for rock crawling (I DO live in Moab, after all)

It's also a lot less likely I'll "sidewall" these bias- ply's on a sharp rock, as I've done to all too many radials

91W350

How tall are these tires? 37.5 to 38" new? With no radius loss from sidewall flex under load, you are still turning around 2650 at 65 for a 38" tall tire, 2700 for a 37" tall tire. That is still humming for a 6.2. Much better than the 3150 it takes to run 65 on a 32" tire. I always got my best fuel mileage at about 45, rpm wise, that would be about 52 mph on these tires. That is around 2200 rpm. Glen

91W350

yup. .I'll bet that sitting a few inches higher makes that famous Kansas horizon seem just a bit farther away LOL
We do get some pretty awesome sunsets.... hard for a storm to sneak over the hill on us...

What we run into around here is slick mud. Wide tires lose their drive and steering, they float on top and you go to the lowest point, which means in the ditch. We need a tire narrow enough that the weight of the truck will allow it to slice deep enough to hit solid ground. Not a lot of surface sand here, that is a few feet below the soil around my part of the world.

solarmon

We do get some pretty awesome sunsets.... hard for a storm to sneak over the hill on us...

What we run into around here is slick mud. Wide tires lose their drive and steering, they float on top and you go to the lowest point, which means in the ditch. We need a tire narrow enough that the weight of the truck will allow it to slice deep enough to hit solid ground. Not a lot of surface sand here, that is a few feet below the soil around my part of the world.
For years, When I lived in Virginia City, NV, I drove a 1950 Chevy 1-ton 2WD . . . with skinny 18" tires. I'd put about a half ton of rocks in the back for the winter (I'm a mason), and can't even COUNT the Blazers and such with wide tires (and 4WD) that I pulled out of the ditch with that rig

yetti

if it helps or not Mutimile tires used to distribute a 9.00 x 15 NA tread and a 9.00 x 16 NA tread (directional). they called them snow commanders back in `84-84. if the still exist that is where I would start and they were tubeless.

solarmon

if it helps or not Mutimile tires used to distribute a 9.00 x 15 NA tread and a 9.00 x 16 NA tread (directional). they called them snow commanders back in `84-84. if the still exist that is where I would start and they were tubeless.
never ran across any mention of those while looking, but DID discover that Michelin no longer has the tall 16's that they supplied for NATO for many years

91W350

If you take out an inch for sidewall flex and wear, that is 2900 at 65, that's howling for a 6.2..... begging for relief... Just shoot up here among us, one of us needs some reliief....

They look like a great tire for the Kansas boy....

I had a 1967 Chevy K30 that I put 7.50x17 tires on a set of wheels off of a early 50s one ton. As I recall they were about 34 inches tall and worked suoer. I think they were Multi Mile tires, then we could not get them anymore. Tubes, flaps and split rings, life was good....

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks