• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Stalwart swan dive

Stalwart

stalwart...bring that with the hemmt!...must suck having so many cool toys...
Dude, do you have any concept what you're asking? Think of a 5 ton truck with 48" tall tires, make it 8.5' wide and 8.5' tall and they weigh 20,000 lbs EMPTY! Where shall I put it, in my back pocket? IF I had a crane to load it onto the HEMTT, it would be overheight and a mighty tippy load.

Stalwart

Those things are way cool! How hard are they to get parts for and work on? I heard you shouldn't drive them on dry pavement as they have no differentials. There are a few on Ebay right now for some reason. I don't recall seeing that many for sale at one time.
They are difficult to work on because of their design, some of the power train is accessed from inside the cramped hull and some from the outside. If you don't mind stripping out the radiators, fuel and oil tanks, and the complete engine/trans. assy. there is plenty of room to work in the hull. I have about 25,000 lb. of spare parts so parts for me aren't an issue. I have spare NOS carbs, distributors and 2 complete rebuilt engines, radiators, spare gearboxes, steering gears, suspension and bevel boxes.

There are 14 gear boxes in use to drive one down the road . . . at a top speed of 40 mph.

I have been fighting the "no dry pavement" BS for more than 10 years, it is a myth that won't die. If you put giant sticky radials on one it will most likely break, I've seen it happen to a guy back East, he spent over $5000 in new tires and broke a bevel box. If you measure your tires regularly, rotate them as required, keep the fluids up and don't do anything stupid they aren't prone to breakage. That means no driving over cars, not pulling stumps by attaching a slack chain and mashing the throttle until it pulls taught. They will pull stumps all day with the winch, I've done that and they will do exceedingly well off road because of their ratcheting center differential as they are a TRUE 6WD.

They are a fun truck, I have many photos and videos of ours swimming. I'm getting out of the whole amphibian thing, our M656 and Gama Goat are gone and so will the Stalwarts. I can support just so many toys and we've decided that with the HEMTT, we will drop our MV's to 6 in number (armor + HEMTT). We have other hobbies: kids, V8 motorcycles and haven't completely gotten out of the car thing.

BTW, the guy on eBay with the green butchered one is full of BS, even with the top and back of the cab removed his truck is going to weigh 10,000 lb. more than he claims PLUS they only get 2-3 MPG, NOT the 5-8 he claims.

todds112

They are difficult to work on because of their design, some of the power train is accessed from inside the cramped hull and some from the outside. If you don't mind stripping out the radiators, fuel and oil tanks, and the complete engine/trans. assy. there is plenty of room to work in the hull. I have about 25,000 lb. of spare parts so parts for me aren't an issue. I have spare NOS carbs, distributors and 2 complete rebuilt engines, radiators, spare gearboxes, steering gears, suspension and bevel boxes.

There are 14 gear boxes in use to drive one down the road . . . at a top speed of 40 mph.

I have been fighting the "no dry pavement" BS for more than 10 years, it is a myth that won't die. If you put giant sticky radials on one it will most likely break, I've seen it happen to a guy back East, he spent over $5000 in new tires and broke a bevel box. If you measure your tires regularly, rotate them as required, keep the fluids up and don't do anything stupid they aren't prone to breakage. That means no driving over cars, not pulling stumps by attaching a slack chain and mashing the throttle until it pulls taught. They will pull stumps all day with the winch, I've done that and they will do exceedingly well off road because of their ratcheting center differential as they are a TRUE 6WD.

They are a fun truck, I have many photos and videos of ours swimming. I'm getting out of the whole amphibian thing, our M656 and Gama Goat are gone and so will the Stalwarts. I can support just so many toys and we've decided that with the HEMTT, we will drop our MV's to 6 in number (armor + HEMTT). We have other hobbies: kids, V8 motorcycles and haven't completely gotten out of the car thing.

BTW, the guy on eBay with the green butchered one is full of BS, even with the top and back of the cab removed his truck is going to weigh 10,000 lb. more than he claims PLUS they only get 2-3 MPG, NOT the 5-8 he claims.
Great info from someone who should know. I thought that weight estimate seemed aweful light for that truck. I can see where maintenance would be tough. Kind of like maintaining a truck and a boat at the same time, huh? What awesome rigs, though. I would love to see the look on people's faces when you drive up to a boat ramp, then right down and into the lake...priceless!:D

srodocker

Dude, do you have any concept what you're asking? Think of a 5 ton truck with 48" tall tires, make it 8.5' wide and 8.5' tall and they weigh 20,000 lbs EMPTY! Where shall I put it, in my back pocket? IF I had a crane to load it onto the HEMTT, it would be overheight and a mighty tippy load.
hehe i know it was worth a shot...when do you bring the stalwarts out to play?

Stalwart

I would love to see the look on people's faces when you drive up to a boat ramp, then right down and into the lake...priceless!:D
The best looks come from when they see this odd looking thing motoring around in the lake that is perhaps 3 feet tall grow to more than 8' tall as it drives up on the beach next to a boat. They also haul stuff quite well, my wife's Ferret arrived from England in the back of my first Stolly.

Attachments

todds112

The best looks come from when they see this odd looking thing motoring around in the lake that is perhaps 3 feet tall grow to more than 8' tall as it drives up on the beach next to a boat. They also haul stuff quite well, my wife's Ferret arrived from England in the back of my first Stolly.
That's AWESOME! You have my "won the lotto" dream driveway!:drool: You don't want to adopt a 40-something year old child do you?;)

Stalwart

That's AWESOME! You have my "won the lotto" dream driveway!:drool: You don't want to adopt a 40-something year old child do you?;)
Might look funny, your sisters would be 9 & 12 and your parents a few years older than you :grin:

BTW, that CARC 383 green thing is a civilian Hummer.

Stretch44875

Super Jr. Moderator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
You know all this is cool but 99% of the posts are becoming just .... well Filler, really no useful content what so ever. We all can find this stuff on youtube. Thanks for sharing, but lets not fill the site with this stuff.

Love Westy.

Did I miss something here?

As far as the video, HOLY CRAP! Didn't expect that....

davesgmc

was the turret taken off the ferret for height reasons in shipping? you think you could swim the stolly with the ferret in it? how did you get it out of the back?

Stalwart

Dave, you are correct. The turret was removed for height alone and yes, I think the Stalwart would swim with the Ferret inside but slightly stern low. Perhaps if the Ferret was backed in it would be better.

You see that pile of 2x12's in the picture? The wood, a saw, a nail gun and the beer pictured made for some ramps that even the Stalwart could probably use. Then we just backed the Ferret out. BTW, the wood was used on edge, not flat.

Todd, they think my wife is special too, she has a Ferret, Fox and recently sold her Gama Goat. :grin:

bigelk50

Todd you have a cool toy too!! The Pinz. I just put two and two together when I saw you live in Wy. I went to Jackson last August with my wife for our honeymoon. I saw you driving it through town... then I lost you. Not even looking for ya about an hour later, I drove behind the shopping center (by the gun barrel/liqueur store I think) and saw it parked on the corner lot. My wife said no MVs on the honeymoon so I took pics and drove off. By the way the Gun Barrel was Fantastic!!

Attachments

ChevyFan1207

Todd you have a cool toy too!! The Pinz. I just put two and two together when I saw you live in Wy. I went to Jackson last August with my wife for our honeymoon. I saw you driving it through town... then I lost you. Not even looking for ya about an hour later, I drove behind the shopping center (by the gun barrel/liqueur store I think) and saw it parked on the corner lot. My wife said no MVs on the honeymoon so I took pics and drove off. By the way the Gun Barrel was Fantastic!!
I went there on vacation two years ago... I would kill to go back.

Sorry to jump off subject. Awesome video!

todds112

Ha Ha, too funny. That's me! Should have stopped by and said howdy. I used to get that pretty regularly. Sadly the Pinz now resides in Scottsdale, AZ. Had to sell her to pay off some debts. It was the coolest ride I ever had. Going to get a new toy soon-ish. It will be green, just haven't decided what yet.

I think my truck is in as many vacation photo albums as the town square antler arches!

Gunbarrel is awesome. Wished I could afford to eat there more than once a year. I always recommend that place to visitors (non-vegetarians anyway).

After having the Pinz, I have a thing for 6x6's, but I think the Stalwart might be out of my league for maintenance, etc.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks