• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start Relay Wiring Question

When I went to start my Deuce for the first time it didn't. I traced the wires and found that the two wires from the solenoid to the magnetic start relay were disconnected. I have a different set up than what shows on the wiring scematic (less wires) so I just want to make sure. So in a nutshell, where does the wire go on the start relay that comes from the post on the solenoid which also has the main battery cable attached ( 1/2" post). The back bottom 3/8" post closest to the engine or the other bottom one toward the air cleaner? On the two small post on top the MSR the one toward the engine has nothing on it and the other runs up into the wiring harness. Thank You, Griff

Thanks Bjorn. I imagine I can figure it out. My problem is that I do not have wire No. 10 on the bottom post of my MSR. I do not have wire 10 at all. But if C (ground) post on MSR represents the small post on top that has nothing connected to it and A post is the 3/8" post directly below C and towards the engine, than I have it.

Mahalo, Griff

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I wouldn't put too much stock in one line electrical drawings, they very RARELY represent true physical locations of posts and terminals. Instead take a multimeter and check for continuity between the posts. You should only have continuity (resistance) between posts "D" and "C". All other posts should be totally isolated from each other unless the relay is energized.

Speddmon,

I know what you mean after reading TM's and scematics. So for simplicitys sake what would help my piece of mind would be this. I have a 1986 White multifuel MSR located on the right side covered by the air filter. I imagine that this is normal locationfor this engine. Question, what bottom 3'8" stud on the MSR does the main wire from the solenoid (1/2" post with main positive battery cable) go to on the MSR? The one inside next to the engine or the outside one towards the air cleaner. I would much appreciate anyone to help me here with a simple answer. Many thanks to those with the knowledge. Griff

cranetruck

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Griff, the two connections on the bottom of the MSR represent "A" and "B" terminals in the diagram above. It is a contact and which wire is connected to which terminal doesn't matter, but one ("A", in the diagram) has 24 volts on it at all times from the battery and the other goes to the solenoid coil (should both be #8 gauge wires). Wire #10 in the diagram is the battery feed to the electrical system on the truck and may or may not be connected at the particular place shown in the diagram, but is also at battery voltage at all times. It must not be connected to the "switched" side ("B") of the MSR,
The "empty" terminal on top is at ground potential and need not be connected externally.

Last edited:
AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks