• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Start/Stop handle, what do you do?

saddamsnightmare

:-DFebrary 28th, 2009.

My chock lives under the passenger bench seat in the cab.... The parking brake might hold the truck, the transmission won't hold the truck if pushed hard enough, and I gotta make up a locking engine stop handle block, what with everything else on that truck, the big safety items get attended to first, the little ones are less likely to kill you.......
Other then being primitive, the deuce has many good points and some bad ones (like that little pain in the @#$%^&*()!# driveshaft between the transmission and the transfer case, a real pain to check, but one you don't want to get loose at speed!:twisted:

Cheers,
Kyle F. McGrogan
1971 Kaiser Jeep "Saddam's Nightmare" Desert Storm and Vietnam Veteran Deuce
1968 Johnson Corp M105A2 trailer
1967 Hercules MEP023A gas Gen Set APU
1963 Swiss Army Cargo Unimog S.404.114

kendelrio

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I keep mine pulled out..... One more thing for the uninformed to figure out if they are trying to start said deuce without permission....:twisted:

BTW, Jinx, You are forgetting K.A.R.R.

Attachments

Last edited:

JDToumanian

in the tool box......:roll::grin:
I keep mine in the tool box, but Dave Walker's Air Force deuce which I am working on has "DO NOT PUT CHOCKS IN HERE" stenciled on the tool box door. I thought, uh, why not? ...That's exactly where I put my chocks! Why would the air force not want chocks in the tool box?

As for the stop cable, mine has no ratchet teeth on it and is spring loaded so that when you let it go it pulls itself back in. I leave both trans and transfer in neutral....

Jon

Westech

CPL
I'm anal about it being out. If the ratchet pawl on a cable stops working, I'll change the cable. These things bump start so easily that I get paranoid about an accident happening.

I remember hearing about a M109 that was push started by a huge wind storm and entered a building and made a new door. Kenny is correct the Multi fuel when working well will start by just looking at it too hard. I know my old deuce would be running before I could even just try to bump the starter to move a pulley to change the air pump belts. I finally had to just VERY slowly turn it with a wrench.

bigmike

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I leave mine out. I leave her in gear as well. I installed a Cat switch under the dash so there is no starting without getting under the hood and doing a bit of work.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Battery disconnect.

I've got a screw out disconnect on the negative terminal on mine, I leave the fuel cutoff pushed in because I really don't need it gumming up on me in a cold snap, but, I also never leave the trans or Xcase in gear, hand brake always on and a cinder block between the duals.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks