• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Started cleaning up mep002 today, some Q's

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
So I started really going through my new to me mep002. Here are some observations and questions:

It was missing a load terminal so I opened that cabinet. F0 and F3 are connected but F2 is is not hooked up neither is F1. I saw a tip here to use a magnetic tool to find loose nuts and sure enough I found 6, 3 of them do not even appear to belong in that area. Thanks to a member here I have a full load terminal with washers and nuts, but the other load terminal that wasn't hooked up is missing the washer and nut set. I suppose my question is, is it safe to just leave a load terminal off since I will only be running single phase?

While I had the cabinet open I noticed that someone had pushed the circuit breaker in (hard) and broke the retaining edges of it off so it just sort of floats behind the front panel. Looking at it from the angle I have, I cannot see a way to repair it. Anyone had to replace the main breaker? Any off the shelf breakers fit and mount up?

I took the fuel tank off and got a good look inside. It had brownish chunkiness in there so I rinsed with gas a few times. I can now see the shiny bottom of the tank, no rust. Are the fuel pumps a typical failure point?

Last edited:

Speddmon

Blind squirrel rehabiltator
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
So I started really going through my new to me mep002. Here are some observations and questions:

It was missing a load terminal so I opened that cabinet. F0 and F3 are connected but F2 is is not hooked up neither is F1. I saw a tip here to use a magnetic tool to find loose nits and sure enough I found 6, 3 of them do not even appear to belong in that area. Thanks to a member here I have a full load terminal with washers and nuts, but the other load terminal that wasn't hooked up is missing the washer and nut set. I suppose my question is, is it safe to just leave a load terminal off since I will only be running single phase?

Yes it is safe as long as the wire that would have gone to the load terminal doesn't touch anything. Tape the end of the wire really good with electrical tape and it will be fine. If you want, send me your address again and I can get you the nut set for the other load terminal.

While I had the cabinet open I noticed that someone had pushed the circuit breaker in (hard) and broke the retaining edges of it off so it just sort of floats behind the front panel. Looking at it from the angle I have, I cannot see a way to repair it. Anyone had to replace the main breaker? Any off the shelf breakers fit and mount up?

No other breakers that will mount up easily I know of, but the OEM breakers are still available from the manufacturer, but they are spendy...about $180 each. It is a pain to get into the breakers as it is. I have a couple of the MEP-002a boxes here that I am going to convert to use with the 003a. You can talk me out of a breaker a heck of a lot cheaper than you can buy a new one....but it's going to be quite a while (as in months) before I get around to that project.

SandBar

Full Time Patriot
PM on the way and please put me on the list for a breaker when you get one out. Although still usable, i don't like the ideas of sticking the tips of my fingers anywhere near the inside of that box to handle the breaker with it running. Thank you

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks