• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Started my 6.2 in the can!!!

hdexpert

So the 6.2 I bought over the winter finally got the attention it needed. Kipman, Gimp, Oilcan and I screwed around with the engine for a while and got it running. My brother Old grunt modified the front engine support to allow the starter to be mounted, Pretty simple actually!! The only thing I'd do differently is hooking up the glow plugs so it starts easier. Sorry, no pics, maybe Gimp took some. I'll be listing the motor on E-Bay tonight.

UPDATE!!!

I just found out today that my motor is a 6.5, not a 6.2. It's currently up on E-Bay.

Last edited:

Recovry4x4

LLM/Member 785
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I'd like to see how he modded the leg. I have some canned 6.2s that I'd like to hear run.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Kipman, Kenny wants to your pics of your can!

hdexpert

Kenny, it's quite easy. Support the front of the engine by putting wood blocks under the oil pan. Remove the four bolts holding the rear engine support to the engine block. Next, remove the two bolts mounting the support to the bottom frame work. Weld two L brackets on the support directly behind the originals. Make sure the new brackets are long enough to space the support 3/4 inch further away than it was originally. What's left? Longer bolts, spacers, wiring up a starter switch, the glow plugs and the fuel shut off valve. Pull the glow plugs, squirt in a liberal amount of PB Blaster and let it sit for a while. Then you can try to turn it over with a pry bar on the flywheel. If it moves a little, work it back and forth till it's free for one whole rotation then try the starter. Once you have all this figured out and set up you should be able to start other engines in a half hour!! Good luck!!:beer:

Last edited:

markinnh

Wow, I usually can keep up pretty well, but this post has me stumped. What is a can? (this reference please) I heard echos of well theres a trash can, a tuna can, an ....can. I just simply did not follow this post:lost:

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
OK, here ya go...

The military used several different sized containers to hold engines in. I have a 6.2L 'in the can' that I need to do this to as well. I shudder to think if it will actually run or not.

ANYWAY, my 'can' is a large heavy steel can which is two halves bolted together to make a secure container that the motor is bolted into. I've seen pix from a few years back, they used to stack them either three or four high.

stump

I too started my new motor in the can. I made 3/4 inch spacers and left the side brackets un bolted. This motor ran great untill it was in the truck with water. I now have another motor in this can and have a truck radiator hocked to it with no fan on the water pump. I placed a house box style fan infront of the radiator and ran the motor for 20 minutes. This one is good and I didnt want it to overheat from not enough air so I though 20 minutes was enough and I let it cool thin I did it again a couple times. Also found that the water pump leaked on this one was real easy to change before I put this motor in. I will tear down the other one its a 6.5 and I want more power. The 6.2 that im putting back in the truck is the original that has 186000 miles on it and I over heated it nowing I had the running 6.5 to go in. I wish I had run the 6.5 with water befor I put thst motor in. I would still have to find another motor if this one goes one day I love this truck and I have put it through h%ll.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks