• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

started painting my M818 today started with the engine

jrobinson5093

I have seen a few red cummins and I wanted to do something different. I plan to paint the rocker covers black. I wanted something that would catch your eye through the inner fenders also. And yes it was duplicolor engine paint, it says good to 500. I figure that the exhaust manifold will burn off, but I plan to build a header of sorts later any way.

Last edited:

Castle Bravo

Hundredaire Socialite
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Maybe you can tell people its an ISX.

I will say this, it should make spotting leaks easy.

jrobinson5093

I will use a da sander with some some 320 sand paper to take the paint off and to get every thing smooth. Then prime and block everything smooth and straight. I will either do the truck in black or tan and black.

Ray70

No need to start with 320 to strip it down, it will take way too long, use way too much sandpaper and you'll go through a ton of Beer in the process.
Start coarser and work your way down, it will go much quicker. On cars I start with 36 on an 8" rotary sander ( only strip 75% of the paint, avoid sparks from grinding into the metal ) , then 80 on the DA to remove remaining paint, then 150-180 DA and prime. If the truck is severely sun bleached you can probably start off with 80 grit and go up from there. See what works fastest without damaging the metal. Once stripped immediately apply either 1 coat of etching primer or epoxy primer before applying your 2K primer surface. NEVER use lacquer primer! Its garbage and will blow right off the truck if you apply it directly to smooth steel. If you don't plan to strip it down to metal I would start with 150 grit, then 220 then prime.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks