• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Started the bobb job

PROSTOCKTOM

RedbeardTheZombieHunter;

Do you know what material to use to lift it 6 inches. What I am asking is there a certain type of
material that is more safe than others, medial tubing, spacers, bushings ?
The M35 and I'm sure other military trucks all use White Oak for spacers.

It's not as prone to rotting as other woods are and can handle a lot of weight.

I'm sure the government spent millions figuring out which wood to use.

Tom

197thhhc

I dont see where its welded back together. Also even though I wont weld a deuce frame. They are weldable per the Army TM. Deuce frames are mild steel not tempered. 5 ton frames are spring steel and are a strick no-no for welding. This argument has been covered many times here. I do completely understand you concern.

Sorry, My bad!

Looks to me like he just ground down the paint to bare metal, so he could get a good clean cut with the plasma cutter. Way less of a smoke show, and no interruped cut.

He's bobbing the truck, not lengthening it back to a long 6x6 chasis.
OK, now that you mention it Ridge, I see this now, what threw me was the pic from the other side with the cut on the other side of the bogie plate scar. I got a little freaked out there for a minute and had visions in my mind of verry bad things happening. While I'm not trying to insult the man by assuming he'd do something that dumb, in today's society, it certainly wouldn't be the dumbest thing I've seen someone do. Far be it from me to jump someone's case needlessly, but my heart was in the right place.
Stepping off my soapbox now. :whistle:

hornetfan

I also thought at first that I was looking at a weld. As has already been mentioned the deuce frame isn't heat treated and can be welded though I agree welding a frame is generally a really bad idea.

Has anybody used Huck rivets to reattach the rear crossmember and braces to a bobbed deuce frame? I doubt I can justify buying the riveter but have been considering trying to rent one. That would be a lot easier than hot rivets and every bit as strong. Bolts are okay but they will loosen if the truck sees much use off-road as mine will.

TJP appears to be making good progress. Shouldn't be long before we see a "new" 4x4 XM381 little deuce! Huzza!

TJP

Riggerrunner is correct on what he sees. I could not decide where to put the bumperettes behind or in front of the tailgate. I have seen a TM on the site about welding on the frame but can not locate it. If anyone knows where it is please let me know I would like to review it just to understand the technical in and out frame integrity.

TJP

A little progress this weekend, every time I take something off I feel it should be cleaned and painted. Had to make a few bracket/spacers in the rear to help level out the bolt pattern, my last hole drilled for the back hanger fell between the cross support and frame.
Here are couple of pics.

Attachments

Last edited:

hornetfan

Recy Mech,

Are similar Aussie vehicles available for you folks to buy? I'm about to go pick up a deuce and it just tickles me no end that they are available at reasonable prices. I did R&R in your fine country 'back in the day' as well as fought with one of your countrymen (he was on MY side) and have a deep gratitude for the friendship I have been shown by pretty much every Aussie I have ever encountered.

All the best,

Clarke

TJP

Some progress this week had a half of day before it started raining. Painted air tanks and brackets and some other parts here are a couple of picks. I used the green color code from the SS thread on acrylic paints from HD the color is great match. I hope weather clears up this week so I can finish painting.

Attachments

TJP

Weather cleared up but only got hangers and leaf springs in place. Started getting rear axle cleaned up, hope to paint it this week. I removed the fuel tank so I could put another bed mount bracket on. What do you all think about six instead of four bed mount brackets? is it necessary. Know that the fuel tank is off might as well clean it out.

This kinda embarrassing but how do you remove the the inside wheel and tire from the axle. I thought the lug nut held both tires on. :sad:

Here are some update pics

Attachments

Last edited:
You need a 13/16" square drive socket to remove the bud caps. The lug nut holds the outer wheel and the bud cap holds the inner wheel. The socket is called a bud cap socket.

TJP

Progress on the bobb job. Had drive shaft lengthened 3 1/2 inches. Set back axle in place. re-installed air tanks. Pulled fuel tank cleaned fuel pump and tank re-adjusted the fuel tank gauge censer. Painted back frame and leaf springs etc.

Here are some pics of the past two weeks.

Attachments

SuperJoe

looks good. who did you have do the shaft? also the green looks perfect. being from the HD what type of paint is it they mixed for you? is it acrylic or oil based?

TJP

looks good. who did you have do the shaft? also the green looks perfect. being from the HD what type of paint is it they mixed for you? is it acrylic or oil based?

T.A.D. Transmission Axle & Drive-line, off 24st Deervalley road. HD acrylic paint
numbers at top of page ,. It does match well, just takes time to dry.

Joe,

Still have not came across the bracket yet will continue to look.

TJP

Had some problems with air tanks after I reinstalled them, they both had pin holes. Ordered new tanks installed them last night and things are back on track (Big Thanks to Darwin T for heads up on where to find new tanks). Finished rear wiring harness, Flip rear hubs, Mounted the Glad handles bumperettes, Made bracket for license plate on right. Brakes look like they are new. :)
Here is some more pics of progress

Attachments