• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Started up and now it doesn't....

aekhoff

My m1008 was delivered a week ago today... it was a busy week so I let it sit until this Saturday and gathered up the parts suggested to fix the GPR that was missing and wire for the fused links etc.... Anyway, when I got some batteries in it and was preparing to replace the fused links and GPR, I decided to give it a crank.... Fired right up, didn't even turn over twice and it was running. I knew it didn't have GP's but figured I try anyway as it is in a 60 degree heated shop. Needless to say, my joyride took precedence over the GPR replacement and I had a Christmas party to go to....

So today I install a Ford GPR, make up some fusable links and get everything wrapped back up, crank it over and over and over and over. She's not firing.

Is it normal for the battery cables to carry some heat when starting, I didn't crank for more than 20 seconds at a time, and I haven't checked the GP's because I assumed that I didn't need them because it fired right off twice Saturday.

So here is my short list for troubleshooting:

1) Fuel? I didn't think to check it @ the pump until after the fact.
2) Bad GP's even though it started fine 2 days ago.
3) Screwed something up replacing the two completely melted fusible links?

Oh well... back at it tomorrow, or maybe a mechanic but that wouldn't satisfy my need for fixing it myself and learning in the process.

Adam

Attachments

Last edited:

mikelee

Disconnect glowplugs try to see if it will start on ether. Make sure no glow plugs will come on first. Yes starters cables get hot from overcranking.

Barrman

Go back over the glow plug system and verify power is getting to each and every plug. It should fire up in less than a second with working plugs.

aekhoff

Thanks guys, I am printing the GP's info out of the TM (I saved it on my work computer). I will dump a little fuel down the intake after I check the GP's and then if she don't run I will just mist a little ether across the intake.... (I have started old international tractors at -30 with it, it'll be alright)

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Follow post 5.

Do not use ether in an indirect injection diesel.

Putting anything in the air intake is not smart.

If you indeed did use a "ford" relay(non isolated coil), you just frigged up your gp system. All this has been covered time and time again.

aekhoff

I or the last GPR that fried took out the GP system so I will be doing a push button bypass to manually enact the plugs....

It did start up today, a little rougher than before but nonetheless it started up and ran strong again, lending all the more evidence that the GP system is fried, now to get power to them and test the actual plugs.... Hopefully soon, going to snow again and really want to test capabilities:):)