• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter and Alternator problems two questions

usmcpatriot

I don't think so brother Cucvrus, more amps on my 08 means and sounds more juice for those cold days. Of course I follow the starting procedures. Just saying.:p

DOUBLE ALT

For your info. Higher voltage is much better. 24 volts over 12 volts has several features. 1/2 the amps needed to do a job, 1/2 the size of wire needed. For airplanes 1/2 the weight of the wire. All the connections, plugs, relays or solenoids contacts get 1/2 the amps to do the same job. You run wires two times further with the same amount of loss.
As stated earlier 12 volts needs a starter cable two times larger than using 24. Check all connections including all grounds.
Good Luck

MarcusOReallyus

If it were your thread and you were trying to get help with a problem, would you want to see it turn into a debate about which voltage is best? Or would you prefer to get help for the problem you posted?
He wouldn't be the first new poster here who registered, asked a question, made 3 or 4 posts, and was never heard from again. Sometimes that's because somebody jumps all over him and he's offended, and sometimes that's because his thread gets hijacked and he gives up in frustration because it doesn't look like his questions are being addressed.

And..... the OP hasn't been heard from since we launched into a debate about 12v vs. 24v.

Another person chased away because people would rather entertain themselves than help the OP.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
And..... the OP hasn't been heard from since we launched into a debate about 12v vs. 24v.

Another person chased away because people would rather entertain themselves than help the OP.

Like Yogi said, "If the fans ain't coming out to the ballpark, you can't stop 'em".

ganderle

Semi-fixed but now batteries drain

I find it hard to believe you would fry a 24v system by sending it 12v. I'd start with the fuseable links, as you'd have pulled more current through them than normal, but the other components, I doubt are bad.
. Replaced a lot of wiring, the glow plugs, relays, both alternators. It charges just fine and is only losing microamps when parked, however, every 2-3 weeks, the front battery is drained. I replaced the battery cable connectors and still losing. Two new batteries in the truck. Thinking of permanently wiring a trickle charger to the truck and "topping off" the batteries by plugging in at night. It isn't overly cold but have no clue as to how it is draining so quickly. I only have a 5 mile commute daily so it is not running too long typically. Really . not looking to pay for a dealer to do a bunch of diagnostics. Anyone have trickle chargers permanently wired to their batteries in the CUCV?

porkysplace

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would put a meter on the front battery and start pulling fuses to see which circuit is causing the drain . The trickle charges might work for awhile , but it may cause a meltdown over time also.

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Probably bad diodes in your alternator(maybe both).

Rebuild them for about $40 each.

gimpyrobb

dumpsterlandingfromorbit!
5 miles isn't very long to charge the batts back up. I wonder what the current draw of starting it is vs a 5 mile charge.

Matt5

Banned
5 miles should be more than enough, about every 10 days I go 1.9 miles to the grocery store, and my only other real destination I drive is 1.5 miles away. (both one way) generally go at night (55w/65w HO headlights) heater on, stock cucv, never bought a new battery (all used junk yard pulls) never once had a dead battery. I do not tend to warm up the vehicle either, generally get in, wait for the glow plugs to cycle and take off. In 2-3 weeks, no way the battery should be dead going 5 miles round trip or one way. To be fair the truck is used to plow snow so those times its run 12+hours but... I've gone 4+ weeks in the winter of those short trips nothing else.

I would keep looking... also check charging voltage, it maybe charging low on the front battery letting it run down in those few weeks of short trips.

cucvrus

I only live .5 miles from work. I drove a CUCV for 15 years to work as a daily driver. I still do on occasion. The batteries worked fine and lasted 6-7 years. I go home everyday for lunch shut it off and drive back. Very seldom used a block heater. Pinching pennies so the dollars keep growing. Want to retire some day. I do have my CUCV's all stock so I draw glow plug current from both batteries. Not sure if that helps but that's how they are. And we use the CUCV's at work to drive short trips all day long on and off. I think that you need to do a complete battery analysis. Complete slow charge load test and then check it after sitting for a day. You may have to splurge and step up to some new batteries.Have a great day. Big Red was in 26* weather all weekend and fired up on the first few revolutions. Just like it should. Unaltered.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks