• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter battery cable ground

THolzknecht

Question on my battery cable that goes to the starter there is a metal piece that seems to bolt to the frame is it supposed to be bolted to the frame ? what would happen if it wasn't ?

edpdx

My M1009 has a cable that runs to the starter downward- where you find the fuel pump on a gas V8, there is a metal strap that attaches the cable and another one as well, to the chassis with a bolt. It does not "need" to be connected there; I think it is just cable management to keep it from getting pulled on and creating fatigue at the starter terminal- there is also a spring type cable clamp another foot or so closer to the starter to keep the cable from sagging and getting hung up.

edpdx

yes, the starter support bracket. If you don't have one, you need it. If it is loose, you need to remove/clean it and the block and replace it. I recommend adding the ground wire ND cleaning the existing grounding strap.

The "what would happen" is you would start breaking starter bolts weekly/monthly and investing in long reversible drill bits to remove the broken bolt, and then you would get to know your auto store guy on a first name basis as you would replace the bolts so often.

On the flip side, you will be able to change the starter in about 10 minutes with your eyes closed as you will have done this so often.

Plus you would get to hang out with your friends more as you will be calling them to come rescue you as the bolts always break at the in-opportune times.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks