• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter bolts missing cucv

bkwudzhom

It has been said several times here that it is best to go with the GM bolts. They are only a couple of dollars. Dont forget the washers and checke the teeth on the flywheel while your there. It might save you some trouble.

wallew

Steel Soldiers Supporter
go to your GM dealer and buy at least four. keep two in the truck at all times.

I don't care HOW you install them, THEY WILL EVENTUALLY FALL OUT.

If you are lucky, they just fell out. IE, they didn't BREAK AND THEN FALL OUT.

Before just sticking a new set of bolts into those holes, use a flashlight to make SURE that you don't have a broken bolt still in the hole.

If you do, you will need to carefully pick it out. THEN replace the bolts.

GM bolts are about $5 each and they stretch just a little so they last a little longer than a standard grade 8 bolt.

rfischba1

I see they did both break off in the block, got one out with a ice pick and hammer, the other one if really stuck. I tried drilling, but will have to drop the drive shaft in order to get the drill in straight.
Not a easy job if its your first time wo all the tools:oops:

Bravo2Uniform

Starter Bracket

I had no end of trouble breaking starter bolts, bolts falling out and other starter issues. After literally hundreds of dollars, I got smart and put the $ 3.00 starter bracket on and I have had no bolt problems since then. I also torqued my bolts to specifications and haven't had any problems with them backing out.

I would suggest keeping spares in the truck, just in case. I bought OEM from Amazon.com.

rickf

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Get yourself some left handed drill bits. They are a life saver when it comes to drilling out broken bolts because they drill in the opposite direction of regular bits. Usually about halfway into drilling the bolt will unscrew.

Rick

Wolf.Dose

In 372,000 km with a M1009 I never had any problems with these bolts, which are mass porduct M12 over here. Just tie them to the propper torque and also fix the barcket. And with my M715 I never had a problem with the 6.2 l Diesel instalt with these bolts. Only the starter is a piece of scrap! I now have the new model and the problems are gone so far.
Wolf