• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter bracket/ broken bolt m1008

cucvdailydriver

In the past I have had a broken starter mounting bolt. It caused the starter to damage the flywheel. It is repared now, but I recently noticed that there is no starter support bracket . I have read (somewhere) that a bracket should prevent this. My question is where do I get one, is it a original part missing, or broken off? I do not see any brackets /holes on my starter to atach the thing. I dont want to go through another flywheel replacement.

acetomatoco

The bracket attaches to the stud with the exposed threads on the end of the starter and to a hole in the engine block with a nice curved angle iron bracket as illustrated in your 20P and your 20.

cucvdailydriver

Ok thanks . I need to get under there and see whats up. I just recently downloaded the manuals for this truck. I have not looked at them yet, is it a over the counter part? I hope so since I am not good at fab.

Hoot_223

OEM to all 6.2 diesel trucks and blazers, but i had a 1984 suburban that kept breaking them even with the bracket so i drilled and tapped it to 7/16 NF bolt and my problems stopped

cucvdailydriver

I am going to look. There are no junk yards around here that I know of. Does anyone else know of one close to north ga/ dahlonega Ga?

Mike_Pop

RE: Re: RE: starter bracket/ broken bolt m1008

I found two brackets on eBay, two separate auctions.

spicergear

You can make one pretty easily. I did this for my BBC starter in my M715.

That broken bolt-- You didn't happen to give that a 'sniff' of ether, did you? That's a pretty common side effect of too much ether.

CCATLETT1984

spicergear said:
You can make one pretty easily. I did this for my BBC starter in my M715.

That broken bolt-- You didn't happen to give that a 'sniff' of ether, did you? That's a pretty common side effect of too much ether.
I have never seen a broken starter bolt due to ether, now i have seen some other horrible things happen, but the starter kicks the gear back as the engine over speeds it, thats why the grears are shaped the way they are.

Jake0147

This is just what it does on the Post Office vans I work on. (Virtually the same engine). Mail carriers and ether are a bad mix. Even worse if a couple of the glow plugs are still actually working. They break starter bolts, starter bracket bolts, starter braclets, bendix drives, flywheel teeth, starter teeth, etc. (and of course a multitude of other issues not related to the post). I can't prove it, but I suspect that the flywheel accelerates too quickly and "hammers" the back side of the starter gear before the spring has a chance to retract the bendix drive. Not a lot of "slope" to the helix inside there, so when the flywheel hits it suddenly it pushes it back but I believe htere's also a lot of force transferred before the retraction is complete.