• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Bracket Installation

What is the trick for putting on the starter bracket?

My truck did not come with one, so I purchased a new one from GM and made the 1st attempt to install it. I thought it would be easier to install the bracket to the block first then the starter, but the starter won't tilt correctly to install the two starter bolts. (it hits the bracket)

So my question is... what is the best tip for this installation? The book shows installing the bracket to the starter first... but it doesnt seem like you have much space to attach it to the block.

Thanks for your help!

Kelly

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Are you sure you have the correct bracket for your starter? The attached photo shows both. The bracket on the left is for the gear reduction starter and on the right is for the OEM direct drive starter.

I have the one on the right... the direct drive. The holes will line up, I havent tried installing the bracket to the starter yet... I will attempt that tomorrow. I was hoping for some insight in the best way to do it. Like use a socket with a long extension... or a rachet wrench etc.

Midnight Rider

I'm not sure about a complete installation of the bracket, but I did lose the bolt that held the bracket to the block. The bracket was just swinging down free. I got the correct bolt and while laying directly underneath the starter, I was able to reach up and install the bolt back into the block. I think I had at least 1 long socket extension, but it's been awhile.

I would think that installing it on the starter first would be the way to go, then just swing it up to the block and cinch everything down.

kassim503

You should be able to reach the bolt on the block with just a regular socket/ratchet combo.

My trick to the thing is to tighten the block bolt all the way up to the last thread, and then finger tighten the main 2 bolts, put the bracket and nut onto the starter, tighten the main bolts, and then begin the scrapingly painful process of tightening the two bracket bolts with a 10MM wrench.

Its pretty tough to get that top bolt in with the starter in place, especially with the starter in place

jj

I've done this on two different 6.X's. One M-1009 and one full size van. Actually both types of starters on the M, come to think of it. I seem to have the best luck putting the bracket on the block first, but left loose, to pivot out of the way of swinging the starter into place. Then, with the starter bolts started into the block, but again, left loose, i can wiggle and jiggle the bracket onto the starter, and then snug everything down. The other thing i've done on both vehicles is attach new battery wires to the starter before mounting the starter to the block, then making the connections to the existing wiring harness at a remote(read:easier to work at) location. Hope this helps.

Barrman

Like most things in life, there are different ways to do things. I find it easier to have the bracket on the starter but loose. Start the two big bolts at the front and then bolt the bracket to the block. Once the big bolts are tight, I will tighten up the bracket.

Try anyway you can to get it on, then you will know which way to do it in the future.

Two questions though:

Did you raise the frame some so you have more work room over the axle? Big help.

Are you really sure you have the proper bracket for your starter model? Just checking.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks