• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter/cable problem with the 5 Ton

jpekarek

Hey guys! I downloaded the manual and will begin troubleshooting this weekend. I wanted to ask first if there may be a common issue here I can check first and maybe save myself some time.

The other day I was cranking the engine for a while, (10-15 seconds) trying to start it, but it was only about 25 degrees outside and she didn't want to start so I quit. Now when I go to start it, the soelenoid cluncks and the fuel pump runs fine, but the engine will not crank. I cut and replaced all of the battery cable connections and still nothing. The connections on the starter look clean but no cranky!

Is there something I should check first that may be common?
Brushes? wiring? Cables?

Thank you for any help!

one time I turned the truck off to change a tire on m52a2 and went to restart it and about the same thing . I thought maybe the engine locked up . turned out that one batteries went bad inside I was only getting 12 volts to the starter .

Amer-team

Hope the battery was it. You should also have a preheater switch to the left of the steering column. Were you using that when cranking? An old trick for starting Cats, was to crank for 10 to 15, let it set for about 10 seconds, crank again and they would usually start up, with out using starting fluid or preheater. They build up a little pressure and a little heat and off they go. I have a 68 M54A2 and this is how it starts when cold. 25 is about as low as I have tried to start it.

GHall

I'm thinkin it's a battery issue.. I'm hoping at least two of my four batteries are still good so I'll just do a two battery conversion since it hardly freezes here in the winter and see what happens!

GHall

Two battery conversion done and still no crank. I tried all the batteries for the two batt conversion after being charged for a long time. Voltage gauge is in the red when I turn the switches on, then when I hit the starter the gauge goes all the way down. Time to buy two new batteries?

DJones

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I had the same thing happen on my new 925, went out the next morning and she cranked right up. I've been away for the past week so I'm going to take a closer look, as for now it is cranking fine.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks