• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Engagement

motormayhem

Replaced my flex plate about 2 years ago when the tranny was done as there was a few teeth that were messed up from having the starter relay stick. Since then it has always started with no grinding or problems of any kind. Today I went to start it up as usual and it just spun like the starter wasn't engaging the flexplate. Cranked it a 2nd time and it fired right up as usual. Started and stopped it about 20 times and it did it about 3 times. I can hold the key in the crank position and the starter just whirrs. If I stop and wait a second or two it will fire up on the next try.

So I dropped the inspection cover and none of the teeth are worn down other than a few minor spots on the sides of a few teeth in areas where the starter engages frequently.

My question is I need the truck 100% starting saturday for some long trips into some remote areas. What is most likely the cause of such an issue? Bendix not throwing the starter out to engage the flexplate? Is there a good way to test that other than watch it when it does it (hard to replicate)? Finally, is there a method to installing the starter to get good mesh? I did have it part way out to put the motor mount bolt in about a week ago, but I only removed the rear bracket, and the starter bolts to lower it and then put it all back together without ever moving it more than 3in. Also everything was tight when I checked it.

Thanks!

gringeltaube

Staff Member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
It normally gets worse in a matter of days, depending usage: from 3 misses in 20 starts down to 3 starts every 20 trials.
The only cure: replace the bendix!

G.

cpf240

If the starter is just spinning, with no engagement / grinding noises, then I'd have to go with the solenoid / bendix sticking or going bad. I presume you have already checked the connections at the starter and found them clean and tight?

scottladdy

Starter rebuild or replace

If you are going to replace the "Bendix" you might as well get the starter rebuilt. It sounds like the starter solenoid or "Bendix" is not engaging properly. As they say in medicine, it is likely that there are "multiple co-morbid disorders" in your starter. If you are going to the trouble to pull the starter motor, either replace it with a new or rebuilt unit (given your time frames the most likely fix for you) or get it rebuilt by a reputable shop. If you had the time, I would advocate learning how to rebuild it yourself. It is not that difficult to do. But, since you need "100%" capability (impossible for any machine of course) I don't see any other course to recommend.

Follow the TM's for replacement. Don't forget new starter bolts, and since you have an '84 you likely need to shim the starter.

motormayhem

Had some help this morning and was able to confirm the bendix is the issue. Starter gear moves out and engages flexplate, but starter spins independently of the gear. Pulled it and dropped it off at the local rebuilder who said he would try to have it done tomorrow afternoon. I would do it myself but I'll be out of town till sat morning. Seems like stuff breaks at the busiest times haha.