• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter fireworks

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I went to start the M817 this weekend and saw a shower of fireworks through the floor. I removed the access panel, checked the connections......and noticed the battery connection at the solenoid had melted around the eye connector. The 2nd wire (same terminal) had burned/corroded 1/2 of the eye connector off. The nuts were tight, connecting strap to starter locked down. I clipped the bad connector off, will splice in another eye connector (as the wire.....about 4 gauge.....is a smidge to short)...and see if that does the trick.

The TM doesn't show a strap from the solenoid to the starter (this one has one as in the picture below, removed and wire brushed)......possible this is an after market set up and might of been wired incorrectly?

Starter.jpgStarter1.JPGStarter 2.JPG

Adrian A

I'd bet that the starter windings are going bad. I'd take it out and have it tested. A rebuilder would be a good place as they likely have a replacement at a good price. I just went through this on my m35a2. Got a rebuilt delco replacement for $200.

I've said it before... I'm a big fan of fusible links. Much cheaper than any sort of fried batteries, vaporized terminals or even ( heaven forbid ) a fire. If you want, hang a remote 24V bulb across the link to show the link is fried.

rrrr

Changed out my starter as well. I cleaned all the connections and checked the batteries. The connections between my batteries was almost melted off. I put two new connectors on cleaned everything up and good to go. I was glad that I had the issue with the starter because I had no other indications of issues.

Neophyte

Steel Soldiers Supporter
I was looking for a 4 gauge splice kit, and low and behold, Sears Hardware had them for $8.00 (includes splice connector and HEAVY DUTY shrink tubing). I had to use a blow torch to get it to shrink, heat gun wasn't cutting it. This saved me having to rewire this time of year.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks