• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter hardware problems

Jerchambers

So the other day I was tightening my bolts on my starter while it was pretty cold out and snap went the starter casing bolt... You know the 7 inch long hex flange that holds the starter housing together? Well checker auto didn't have a replacement and I have been online searching other sites but can't find a replacement.... Anyone know? My CUCV won't start without it. Please help...

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Search Starter bolt in the CUCV forum. part numbers have been posted.

The -20 tm has the part number also.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Your local starter/alternator/generator rebuild shop ought to have them.

GM dealer has them as they are used in quite a few aps including the 6.5 liter diesels The bolts are GM P/N 15544950 (this part number supplies one bolt). The size is M10X1.5 X approx. 111mm length. The strength grade is 9.8.

Go ahead and buy a few never know when u are gonna needem i hope this helps i went through the same;-) problem

Warthog

Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I read his post as needing the long shoulder bolt that holds the starter housing together.

Item #36 - GM 1975326

Attachments

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Indeed, it does sound like(reread his post) that what he is after. He hasn't been back on the site since this was posted Maybe He'll check in soon and confirm.

I would guess a local rebuilder or even a "Help" parts board might have them.

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Yep, that is why I suggested a rebuild shop. They ought to have a few GM junkers lying around that they can pull a screw out of.

Jerchambers

Thanks guys... That is the part Warthog!!! As always this sight comes through for me...
Today is Sunday so nothing is open but I will reply soon for an update as to if I got the part...:grin:

markg

Thanks guys... That is the part Warthog!!! As always this sight comes through for me...
Today is Sunday so nothing is open but I will reply soon for an update as to if I got the part...:grin:
i have a pile of starter cores. pm me if your interested. thanks. mark

Jerchambers

Hey Doghead besides rebuild shops do you think I will be able to find this online? I live in the sticks and it makes it kind of difficult to find things such as this.. No hardware store carries it.. I thought about going to NAPA but it was closed today..Maybe I will try the GM dealer tomorrow. But if you have any other ideas. Oh and how would you go about removed the piece that is left inside? I thought about using a punch but it is a pretty awkward angle without taking the whole thing apart.

Jerchambers

So I dropped the starter and good thing, all the casing bolts were loose and the solenoid was almost coming apart... So word to the wise... Don't drive or try to hard start without checking your starter... I tested the batteries and they were good. I thought a ground was bad so I checked and they were good. It all came down to the starter, which has power but was falling apart at the seems literally.

doghead

Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Not sure where to find the bolt. I have a good local guy that seems to be able to get all kinds of obsolete or odd parts, like those bolts.

Maybe markg can hook you up easily.

Jerchambers

So I went ahead and ask Markg to send me the parts.. I checked locally first and no one had it... The chevy dealer said it must be too old to carry and gave me numbers to call... I went with someone on here who knows what I am talking about... Again this sight saved me time and effort. You guys rock... The first responder vehicle will be up and running soon I hope... While I wait I am going to put a new fuel filter in as well... It was acting a little sluggish.

markg

So I went ahead and ask Markg to send me the parts.. I checked locally first and no one had it... The chevy dealer said it must be too old to carry and gave me numbers to call... I went with someone on here who knows what I am talking about... Again this sight saved me time and effort. You guys rock... The first responder vehicle will be up and running soon I hope... While I wait I am going to put a new fuel filter in as well... It was acting a little sluggish.
maybe someone else can help, i sent him original bolts and he has a gear reduction starter. :oops::oops:. i should have asked more questions, sorry. mark

Jerchambers

Alright Mark-

You'll be impressed with what I did... So I measured the bolt you gave me and the bolt I had on the starter already... The bolt you gave was a little bit long. I used a hack saw to cut in down.. Then, I went to ACE hardware and got a 6mm retreading die and cut the tip of the bolt with that to match the other bolt and presto!!! It worked.. Tomorrow I will put the starter back in and test it. Thanks for the parts and thanks for the patients... I hope this will help others in my predicament.

Jerchambers

Ok so I put my starter back in and now nothing happens. It won't even turn over. Just clicks. I bought a brand new battery because one wasn't holding its load. I checked all the grounds but I thinks I may need to readjust the starter... It didn't look like it was meeting up right to the mount. And the fuel filter does leak at the drain plug. My GP card is intact and the starter relay is the doghead upgrade. Hmmm... What else could it be... Maybe loose wiring or a fuse somewhere? I will check the fuses in the morning.

Jerchambers

An update from my post... I couldn't start the "Hulk" (as my kids call it). I pulled the battery cables and spliced some of the wires including my starter relay wire. Still nothing from the time I turned the key... Followed the TM's and just couldn't figure it out. I finally took my starter to NAPA and found out their price on a new starter was $269.00!!! The starter I have is a gear reduction starter that was remanufactured. I have seen these on Ebay for $93.00 plus shipping... So Napa referred my to a local starter guy... 6 days later and I guess as he said and I saw is that when my casing bolt broke the armature was knocked off its center and locked up.. The thing was chewed bad and definitely showed lots of carbon on it as though it heated up pretty bad. So the starter guy ordered a new armature and rebuilt the starter. I took it home and installed it. While he had the starter I replace the battery cables and fuel filter.. Installed the starter bled the fuel filter and presto! It starts and runs great again. Thanks to all the help and for all the great posts to help me troubleshoot. I will continue to replace the small things and clean the connections just to make it run smoother...

mr.travo

Good deal! I HATE those PITA's when they crop up, but I ALWAYS learn something new in the end. Knowledge is power. That's why I don't mind troubleshooting and working on their CUCV's. I love the experience and knowledge (or maybe I am a gluten for punishment, LOL!).