• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter headache

REDWOLF

Is there any other electrical problem, other than a bad starter solenoid that would cause the starter to just spine and not engage. It does this intermittently, it will go for weeks and not do it and then it will do it every other time and then back. My M1009 is all stock. Thanks.

MarcusOReallyus

There are a couple of reasons that could happen. You may have some spots on your flex plate where the teeth are chewed off. More likely, the teeth are not moving into proper position.

dependable

It could be the solenoid. On Delco starters the solenoid has a run out function. That is what the magnetic plunger hinged to the starter drive is for. Also check that starter drive is clean and lubed.

Last edited:

phil2968

You really just have a slipping Bendix. The gear has engaged the flywheel but slips in it's clutch. If the starter motor spins the solenoid is doing it's job. The Bendix is a overrunning clutch and can wear and not hold all of the time. I just saw one for sale in a popular auction website for about thirty bucks. Easy to install to. While you have the starter off look at your brushes for wear as well.

Hasdrubal

Don't forget to check your bushings while you're at it. They are a major wear item. The armature shaft can wear right through and start to dig into aluminum. You'll have slower cranking speed from the sagging armature rubbing against the case.

REDWOLF

I did mean to say bendix. This was a new gear reduction starter, and had been doing this sence day one. Should have replaced it then. Also if the flex plate was missing teeth, I belive. if you could get it to catch when you cranked the truck when it came around to the bad spot the starter would jump back out. Thanks I was not sure if anything with the starter glo plug system could cause my problem. Have to see if I can get my starter replaced under warranty.

phil2968

Since it is a gear reduction starter never hit it with a hammer! Most have ceramic magnets that will be destroyed by hammer blows. I am replacing my flexplate because it too had missing teeth. I blame the poor gear bevel on the aftermarket flexplate which was installed in 2008. Go with an OEM or NOS. I bought one from Saturn Surplus, much better bevel to the teeth. I am also replacing the engine rear main seal while I'm at it, it was not leaking but upon inspection the old rope seal was gone. New flex vs. Old
Got new tires for it too.

Attachments

JGBallew

Is there any other electrical problem, other than a bad starter solenoid that would cause the starter to just spine and not engage. It does this intermittently, it will go for weeks and not do it and then it will do it every other time and then back. My M1009 is all stock. Thanks.
Had a couple "new" starters that would do this.
Weak solenoid was not throwing the drive forward far enough.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks