• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter help needed

Brownac1983

Hey guys, My uncle bought a M1009 from one of the local towns, and I volunteered to help him get it going. I picked it up today and the guy said it had a broken starter bolt. Once I got underneath it and dropped the starter, I found a huge issue. The remaining starter bolt is larger than the broken one, looks like about 5/8", so the guys at the town garage apparently drilled and tapped it oversize. To make matters worse, I can still see the bottom of the original hole, and the larger hole isn't drilled on center. :roll:

I can machine an insert to fit the hole and return it to original size and location, but I assume they drilled the starter housing as well. Do any of you happen to have a CUCV 6.2 gear reduction starter laying around, and could you please measure the diameter of the bolt holes? I assume these should be a fairly tight fit on the proper starter bolts? The new bolts and tail bracket will be here tomorrow, I just have to figure out the bolt hole issue.

thanks.

-Drew

Last edited:

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Did it have the front support bracket?

Brownac1983

Did it have the front support bracket?
No it didn't, which is probably the reason for the trouble in the first place. There's a piece of angle iron bolted to the block that appears to have been somebody's attempt at a bracket, but it wasn't bolted to the starter.

the proper bracket and bolts are coming in at the dealer tomorrow morning. Just have to get this bolt hole issue worked out.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks