• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter help

mike-sgt-tackett

anyone know of a shop close to wilmington, NC that rebuilds the 24v starters?
i've called a couple of local places and they say they can't get the parts.
any help would be greatly appreciated.

thanks,
mike

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Find a local diesel shop, tractors, skidders, dozers, Tractor trailers. ask them where they get them fixed locally.

24v is not uncommon

Marschmallow

They are not bad to take apart, mine had a piece of dried up dust boot and rust from keeping the solenoid from engaging all the time. I have not had a prob since I cleaned and greased its bearings and solenoid sleeve.

mike-sgt-tackett

thanks for the quick replies.
i'll check around somemore.
when i try starting i get a fast whin sound, had the starter relay go, in the process of doing the mode.

markg

thanks for the quick replies.
i'll check around somemore.
when i try starting i get a fast whin sound, had the starter relay go, in the process of doing the mode.
sounds like the solinoid is not engageing the starter , you can buy it separately. if you have the starter out , you can test it on the bench to see if it engages properly. ground the case, put 12v or 24v to the batt post, jump the solinoid with a screwdriver and see if it jumps forward completely.