• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter install... what do I need to know?

realm

Got a new gear reduction starter on the way... what do I need to know about installing one? Is it a simple take-off, bolt-on replacement? I read something about shimming, what is that?

My current cucv has the original giant canister starter. Do I need a bracket or anything for the new one? If so, where can I get one?

May attempt install this weekend if time allows.

Thank you.

Mike_Pop

It's basically a take off - bolt on. Basic tools: 5/8" socket, 11/16" socket, 9/32" socket, and socket extensions. If you've done it enough times, you can change one out in a matter of ten minutes. (Don't ask how I know this.)

Make sure you disconnect the batteries before doing anything. If you can, install a bracket which reduces the chance of shearing off the bolts when starting. It's a curved piece of metal that bolts to the starter and the engine block.

Good luck!

realm

Awesome info, thanks! Do I need to remove anything to get to the starter or can I just crawl right up under there and wiggle myself in?

What do you mean shearing the bolts off when starting? You mean starting the engine as in the starter could wiggle loose and messup the gearing connection?

I'm guessing I would have to fabricate some kind of bracket eh? Bought mine off Ebay from a company in my state which seems to have a good rep.

Stonepicker1

Someone had said before you can get a new bracket from the GM parts dept.

You may need to lift the front of the truck (bumper, not axle) so the front axle hangs a little to get the starter out and the new one in.;-)

The hardest thing is finding the small nut that you drop that hooks the start switch wire to the starter:-D:-D:-D

Lieutenant
Steel Soldiers Supporter
The bracket for the gear reduction starter is straight. Do a search on this subject and you'll find the part number for the correct bracket and also the correct GM starter bolts and order from your local GM dealer. The correct bolts are metric.

Mike_Pop

Awesome info, thanks! Do I need to remove anything to get to the starter or can I just crawl right up under there and wiggle myself in?
You can crawl right under and remove the starter without removing anything else. It's best to go from the passenger side, laying on your back. There are two 5/8" hex head bolts to remove, you'll need and extenstion which will make things easier. Once the bolts are out, pull the starter down and back to get it out of the tight space. Reinstalling it can be tricky when threading the bolts back in.
What do you mean shearing the bolts off when starting?
When starting the truck, there is a lot of torque on the starter. Sometimes it can shear the two 5/8" hex head bolts right off. By adding the bracket, you reduce your chances.

The hardest thing is finding the small nut that you drop that hooks the start switch wire to the starter
I put a wire lead with a male/female connector about 12" long on my starter. It makes it a lot easier to bolt the wire on, install the starter and then connect it instead of having to reach up with a socket wrench. I also replaced the power cable to the starter with something longer so I could bolt that on before installing the starter.

doghead

4 Star General /Moderator
Staff member
Super Moderator
Steel Soldiers Supporter
Be sure to disconnect your Front battery neg cable, before removing the starter.

The shimming is covered in TM 9-2320-289-20, page 4-14 You need to be sure the starter drive gear meshes with the starter ring gear/flexplate, correctly.

Last edited: