• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

starter issue, help please?

staley86

ok so i just purchased my 86 1009 and had to put a starter in and in my haste to get it running (plus no light outside), i failed to notice the portion of the block the outer bolt screws into was cracked and jb welded back on. :evil: That portion has cracked off and is now missing as well as the bolt. the starter now seems to be offset slightly, and when i went to start before i saw the issue, it was making a grinding noise like it wasn't engaging all the way, thats how i noticed the problem in the first place. i had to get it started seeing as i was not at home with it, i shifted the starter back over all the way and had a buddy hold it while i started (i know, i know, stupid idea) and it still made the grinding noise, but started. What can i do? is the starter now bad as well as needing to get that portion re-welded? can you even do that, or is this motor now worthless? thanks in advance, chris

ABN173

Wow Chris......I don't even want to attempt advising you on that one, PM SS member Westech, or Doghead either should give you better advice. That was a really low thing for the seller to do, I could never do that I make it a point to point out all known problems and I try to be fair. Also I suggest you take some pictures and post them up so we could give you better advice.

Good Luck,
Dale

91W350

That is indeed a bum deal. I am not sure how to fix that issue and would be looking for a block if it were mine. They are known to do that however, it is imperative that the front starter brace/hanger be in place and that the starter bolts are in good shape and tight. The 6.2 has high compression, even for a diesel and while the GM style starter bolt arrangement is very nice to work with, it is not nearly as substantial as one that bolts to the face of the bell housing. The torque works against the length of the bolt, almost like a lever pushing on the block casting, instead of trying to shear the bolt like those that are bolted to the bellhousing. I hope somebody knows a cure, I would like to have that knowledge in my pocket for future reference. Glen

staley86

i agree its a bum deal, but no need to cry over splilled milk i guess. maybe i should just put in a 350 haha. i will try to post some photos tomorrow, thanks for the replies

Chief_919

A good machine shop can fix that block, but it would have to come out. Since used running 6.2's are so cheap anyway I would just replace it while it was out.

blzrgb

That's a bad deal. I've always been afraid that would happen to mine. Hopefully there's a solution. You said the starter was shifted out of position, was the brace attached to the front of the starter ?

stump

I have made the repair myself before. Take the starter off disconect the battery cables and remove the starter sylonid from the starter. Use a new starter bolt to measure a piece of steel big enough to drill and thread then install the starter with the good bolt and mark and grind out where the repair piece will go. Bolt the piece to the starter them install the starter and line up the starter gear with the flex plate to tack the repair in place. Remove the starter and weild the repair in place and make sure to use the starter shim when installing the starter when complete.

Tanner

My J-code civvy 6.2 has the same problem; previous (ab)user put a long bolt down through the top of the block to reinstall the starter, and still neglected to install the brace on back of starter... :evil:

'Tanner'

staley86

you know what i just thought about? i didnt get a chance to work on the 09 today (working late), but doesnt the starter bolt onto the bell housing of the transmission? i could be wrong of course, this is my first diesel and first GM but some of the rwd vehicles ive worked on, the starter bolts onto the bell housing. correct me if i'm wrong i believe 91w350 touched on this...

Last edited:

staley86

That's a bad deal. I've always been afraid that would happen to mine. Hopefully there's a solution. You said the starter was shifted out of position, was the brace attached to the front of the starter ?
there was no brace, i didnt even think to look for a spot to mount a brace (due to the low light)

91W350

Nope, two bolts up into the block. That is the main weak point of the design. If they went to the bellhousing, like a lot of trucks do, the bolts would have sideways shear under torque. The GM design allows the torque to work like a lever on the length of the bolt. Normally it is not a problem, the 6.2 though, has very high compression compared to the gasoline counterparts. Some of the older GMs did have bellhousing mounted starters and on some of them, one bolt went from inside the bellhousing out to the starter, what a pain, but very secure. I wonder if the touted nickel blocks we get in the CUCVs are also brittle in comparison to standard cast blocks for the civi 6.2 engines.

staley86

your right, i couldnt wait, i just went out there and looked with a flashlight and is the actual block. good news is, i already found a new block for free, its in anchorage, about a 6 hour drive, but its worth a shot i think. even if the block is junk, at least i have some scrap metal to make a few bucks off of:wink::wink:

ABN173

I wonder if the touted nickel blocks we get in the CUCVs are also brittle in comparison to standard cast blocks for the civi 6.2 engines.
I think this was settled by Chief919 on another thread, there is no difference between a civy 6.2 and a military one.