• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter Motor Bolts - Which Ones?

Edis06

Ok my new HMMWV broke down on Friday. The starter bolts went snaparoo, leaving the threaded studs in the block. A quick drill out and replacement was easy. HOWEVER:

There are numerous threads and surplus e-tailers selling "updated" bolts. The bolts in the descriptions do not match what read on the threads on how to identify the "updated" with the legacy parts. I heard that the updated bolts had a flanged head, rounded threads (more strength), and dry loc. The old bolts that broke had the flanged heads, though, and the updated ones at Midwest and some other places did not have the flange but did have the dryloc. Then I read that the updated ones were the lates 9.8 SS construction without the flange and a forum member had the updated bolts put in at the GM dealer with Loctite blue and it has lasted 5 years and counting.

So, I just bought some at GM and added the Loctite. Then when I compared the bolts to the updated surplus bolts, they were THE SAME.

Any confirmation on what constitutes an "updated" starter motor bolt on a HMMWV? And, are there any addition updates I should have done to prevent this from happening again?

papakb

I was in the middle of refuelling one time when I heard a clink under the truck and saw one of my starter bolts had done the same thing. Broken off right at the threads. Since this is a GM engine I went to a Chevy dealer and bought 2 new starter bolts but when I went to install them I found that neither of the OEM bolts felt like they were going to tighten up properly. I went online and found that Dave Walker at Walker Truck Parts in Hesperia had a replacement kit with 2 bolts and the strap that runs betweem them for around $10. Both of those bolts went in and torqued up properly. I have no idea what the difference was but the OEM blots were crap and Dave's worked fine.

Retiredwarhorses

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The key to not getting Broken bolts is too make sure the new style rear support hook is installed and the nut is tight, all the older trucks use the ill designed version of this bracket. Red locktite and torqued per the TM.
buy the correct bolts from a distributor. the correct bolt has no flange head, but use an extra thick washer.
I remove about 2 starters a week for work on trucks and keep a good supply of bolts in the shop.
that new bracket makes installation a breeze....

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
The key to not getting Broken bolts is too make sure the new style rear support hook is installed and the nut is tight, all the older trucks use the ill designed version of this bracket. Red locktite and torqued per the TM.
buy the correct bolts from a distributor. the correct bolt has no flange head, but use an extra thick washer.
I remove about 2 starters a week for work on trucks and keep a good supply of bolts in the shop.
that new bracket makes installation a breeze....
I still have the old mount... my arms are still sore from putting in my starter 2 months ago.. what a PITA 🤯
Skipped the gym that week

osteo16

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Im guessing so you can start a bolt to hang the unit on and not be in the same predicament as the first design, holding it up in the air for 3 minutes trying to get a bolt started.. While trying not to smash your face with a 80lb chunk of starter..

Hummermark

I also thought why not a hole as you could slot the stude through the hole then you have say half the weight of starter motor supported while you wiggle around the other end to get the bolts started.
Only down fall I see is getting the washer on and nut started in situ will be more fiddly than pre threading and slotting up?

AAVP7

Sorry, threw that bag away shortly after taking the picture. But if you´re looking for the NSN, it should be 5340-01-457-5734, which is the version for the newer vehicles.

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks