• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter NHC250

CMSGT

Wheres the best place to pick up a starter for an M809 5 Ton with a NHC250 Cummins? I thought my betteries were bad but it looks like its the starter, it barely turns over. Any info is appreciated.

cbvet

Check for a good ground. In my experience, most vehicular electrical problems are caused by a poor ground.

If you do need a starter, is there a rebuilder in your area?
An auto parts store should be able to get it done for you or know where to send you.

Or maybe someone on here will have one, but shipping would be pricey.

I would try rebuilding it or having it done first.

dk8019

I had one on epay last week, but it's off to a new home now. I'll echo what cbvet says, the starters are hard to kill, check all the electrical first, the frame to engine ground etc. Any extra resistance means not enough speed to get her going. It seems the Cummins is somewhat sensitive in that regard.

CMSGT

I had one on epay last week, but it's off to a new home now. I'll echo what cbvet says, the starters are hard to kill, check all the electrical first, the frame to engine ground etc. Any extra resistance means not enough speed to get her going. It seems the Cummins is somewhat sensitive in that regard.

It was tutrning OK until my batteries went dead, I replaced the batteries and then it would hardly crank. I think I smoked it by trying to keep cranking for a few more seconds because it would almost start. I put in the new batteries, tried turning it over and as soon as I did my battery voltage dropped to 21 VDC with the starter barely turning the engine over. I even hooked up my 24volt engine starter and had the same results. I will see if I can get the starter checked tomorrow but I think thats the culprit.

area52

The guy on ebay with those used to be on here, he is a good guy and I would recommend him.

But I second the getting yours rebuilt, go find an alternator shop, they should be able to do it.

papercu

The 2920-00-304-3493 comes back as for the M939, M939A1, M939A2 but the mounting flange is adjustable to 12 positions, so it should fit a lot of engines. Wayne

CMSGT

I installed a used starter and repalced my batteries and the truck turned over faster than I have ever heard her! Thank you all for he help.

Ferroequinologist

Resident railroad expert
Steel Soldiers Supporter
I would take that starter that you took out and get it checked, it could be something simple and then you would have a spare, or rebuild it and sell it, getting your money back for the used one you just put in.

CMSGT

It was toast, I tried and tried to get it to start and I just cranked a little to long. It is amazing the difference in cranking with new batteries and a new starter!