• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter nightmare please help!!

stampy

Everyone has given good advice you just need to get a meter and start tracing to see where the voltage is comming from , pull the starter relay and see if you are still getting voltage from the keyswitch. A stuck keyswitch or solenoid will give you this problem. Good Luck.

Shanahag

Ok guys well i am gunna try to test my wires and such this week somtime maybe. gotta work and school and stuff first. so i hope that i find out whats doing on. My starter wires should nto have power when the keys are not even in it right!?!?! thanks guys,

stuinnh

12v conversion

You might consider putting in 12v starter. It may be cheaper and available from AutoZone, Pep Boy's etc. Still needs two batteries but may be less money.

There are only two places where the starter is sent the signal to start. It's either in the ignition switch on top of the column, or the relay.

Later,
Joe

dependable

If the starter engaged and kept spinning. check 1; relay under dash on left is bad, 2; a 12v solenoid was used in starter 3; solenoid spring not put in properly. Anyway, those are my first 3 guesses. Good luck.

Stonepicker1

Shanahag, let me know if you get this fixed..... I just burned up two starters on one of my CUCV's. Did the relay change after the first starter went. Now the second one went. I turned the key and it almost started, but my fingers slipped off the key so I tryed again. All
I got was a click and then nothing. I looked at my battery gage with the key on and it was in the red. now, I have new batteries so I thought this was strange. Then I said to myself, aua:doh: this can't be happening again. By the time I got the hood opened and the pos and neg wires off I had a melted starter.:cry::cry::cry: The ignition switch seems a little hard to turn on. I think I'll remove it and see what it looks like. (when I get time)

Shanahag

i have not been able to cheak anything yet. i just got my new starter but i am not putting it anywhere close to my truck until i can test all my wires. how do i test the relay on that?? and how do i tear into the ignition part of the steering collum??? i am at a loss. i am going to buy a volt meeter this week so this weekend i can start tearing into stuff. also can anyone guide me in what kind of volts i need and where??? and when the key is on and off? thanks guys i am a cucv virgin but getting there.. thanks guy

Shanahag

ok guys...... well i got the truck running. i got my new starter. i checked all my wires. everything looked fine. i checked the new relay i got and finally found my problem. the relay was stuck. i broke it loose and everything is going good. runs and starts like a champ. the gear reduction starter i got works great!!!! the truck starts with no problems. does anyone know if the glow plugs are 24v or 12v i think i might need some new ones??? thanks for everything guys

stampy

Souds like you are either cranking for a long time or have a direct short to ground. Since it was cranking, how long are you trying to start it?

SmokeyDod

Based on your 1st post, you said the starter just spun over & over but engine did not turn over from what I got. 1) that don't mean your starter is bad because it's doing what it suppose to do. The "thing" on top of your starter in not a relay--its the "starter solonoid". If the truck is orig. MV the ONLY things that are 24v is both the starter and the solonoid. The starter should have "24V" stamped either on the outside body of the starter or one of the end plates where you can see it. Also the "solonoid" has it stamped on the outside of it.
If the starter is spinning and the engine is not turning over- most likely you have a bad 24v solonoid. Your other problem about the starter continuing to try to crank after you have turned your iginition key to OFF is as said is the "RELAY" under your dash panel next to the big round electrical dianostic conn. Whats happens is these 25 yr old relays cordode and the conn. points in the relay sometime begin to "stick together" when energized. IF IT EVER DOES IT ONCE. EXCHANGE IT. It is nothing special, take it to one of parts dealer and tell its a AC blower relay for a late 80's model Chev. DON"T mention anything about being a military 24v truck===It will confuse the heck out of them.
Also to clear up , I hope, when you turn the ign key to on & start position, all it does is push a 1/8" steel wire rod down so that it hits two contact points located 1/2 way down the steering column. This in turn makes a 12v elec. connection to the 12v relay . This makes a 12v connection to the solonoid on you firewall . At this point it connects the FULL 24V wire going to your solonoid. That engages the bendix inside the solonoid to pull the gear into the flywheel which turns over engine. As for as glow plugs being BAD. why. To me the easier way to check them is to take out using 10mm socket and use a 6-10" jumper wire and use vise grip pliers to hold one end of wire to neg side of 12v batt and (Ijust use my fingers) and wrap the other end of wire around the "spade" part of th GP and hold it tight or you will get a little burning sensation, then I touch the thread part of GP to the pos side of batt. If its bad, nothing will happen. If its good almost immediately you will notice the end of GP heating up and in about 3-5 seconds it will be glowing. It's OKAY and be sure to lay it on metal or concrete so it won't mess something up. Also it may take ten minutes or more to cool down enoungh for you to touch it. While its out look at end to make sure its notstarting to swell. This episele it long enough. Hope it helps.

Shanahag

ok so if i was not confused before now i am haha. so i checked my relay and it was stuck i got a new one and installed. not everytime i try to start the truck all i get is a sizzle noise in my relay and nothing else happens.(this is a new reay to) what would cause this to be happenin????? thanks for any help

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks