• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter not engaging flywheel properly

kcobean

A couple of times when going to start my truck, the starter has not engaged the flywheel properly and I get that awful screeching noise similar to what you'd get trying to engage the started on a motor that's already running. Anyone experienced this or know what it might be? Is my starter solenoid getting ready to quit on me?

jeffy777

A couple of times when going to start my truck, the starter has not engaged the flywheel properly and I get that awful screeching noise similar to what you'd get trying to engage the started on a motor that's already running. Anyone experienced this or know what it might be? Is my starter solenoid getting ready to quit on me?

My two cents:
This is a new to you HMMWV... right... so you may be having a battery issues. Sometimes when the battery is marginal it does not shoot out the bendix gear properly. But it is probably the starter solenoid or the starter. Charge your batteries and see if it goes away.

kcobean

My two cents:
This is a new to you HMMWV... right... so you may be having a battery issues. Sometimes when the battery is marginal it does not shoot out the bendix gear properly. But it is probably the starter solenoid or the starter. Charge your batteries and see if it goes away.
Brand new batteries were put in this HMMWV when it came off the transport from UTAH on 7/9, so I don't think it's a battery issue.

Wire Fox

Brand new batteries were put in this HMMWV when it came off the transport from UTAH on 7/9, so I don't think it's a battery issue.
If you have something drawing the power down on your batteries at rest, it certainly can be your batteries. What's the measured voltage on your batteries right now, before putting them on any charger?

kcobean

If you have something drawing the power down on your batteries at rest, it certainly can be your batteries. What's the measured voltage on your batteries right now, before putting them on any charger?

I will check that now, however this happens mostly when starting a warm engine where batteries have been getting charged by the alternator. On cold starts, it rarely happens.

ETA: When the truck is running, my voltage gauge sits squarely in the green, so I assume that my alternator is charging properly.

Last edited:

kcobean

Ok, it's been sitting since yesterday afternoon without being started. I just went and measured at the negative isolation block and the positive terminal inside the battery box and got 25.4V. Each battery measured 12.75 and 12.6 volts respectively.

kcobean

Check the teeth on the flywheel.
all the way around it.
Is there an inspection portal on the bottom of the trans?

So, crawled under there and looked...there is a drain hole in the bottom of the flywheel cover. Can I pull that cover off via the 6 or 8 bolts around it to expose the flywheel?

Last edited:

infidel got me

So, crawled under there and looked...there is a drain hole in the bottom of the flywheel cover. Can I pull that cover off via the 6 or 8 bolts around it to expose the flywheel?
Yes, and if it acts up when engine is warm/hot it probably is the starter.

kcobean

Yes, and if it acts up when engine is warm/hot it probably is the starter.
Thanks, that's what I was thinking. I cracked the TM and it looks like the cover I would need to remove to inspect the flywheel is shown in 5-17. I'll save that for a bit though. Do you think it might be just a solenoid issue? I can replace the solenoid for $75 whereas the starter is $400.

NormB

Manuals. [someone had to say it]

Also search for the actual starter, MFY-6714UT Leece-Neville (but Prestolite makes it too): http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_support/support_0.php

Last edited:

kcobean

Yeah, i was just wondering if there was a particular discipline shop I should be looking for, i.e. transmission or someone who specializes in electrical motor repair. Thanks.

Manuals. [someone had to say it]

Also search for the actual starter, MFY-6714UT Leece-Neville (but Prestolite makes it too): http://www.prestolite.com/pgs_support/support_0.php
LOL...I did reference the manual above, so yeah. I found a new one on ebay for $400. Pretty pricey if a $100 rebuild or a $75 solenoid is all I need.

NormB

Yeah, i was just wondering if there was a particular discipline shop I should be looking for, i.e. transmission or someone who specializes in electrical motor repair. Thanks.

LOL...I did reference the manual above, so yeah. I found a new one on ebay for $400. Pretty pricey if a $100 rebuild or a $75 solenoid is all I need.
Just be very careful with ePay.

Several sellers are pushing CHINESE-made parts as MILSPEC with same part/NSN. If you can't SEE the label on the starter and READ "Leece-Neville" or "Presolite" its probably Chinese.

Not to name names [wolfer] but I bought a couple of windshield wiper pivots and they were listed as MILSPEC, and I naively ordered them expecting US mfr. Nope. And getting them to fit was a bear. Lots of filing. They LOOK nice, but not to spec, not at all. I now understand from several other posts here that MUCH of what this seller offers is aftermarket, NOT US OEM MILSPEC which wears out/breaks often enough already.

You can always make an offer, too, by sending a message to the seller.

The IF rebuild or solenoid question can likely be answered by following the troubleshooting guide in the manual. The thing weighs like 56 lbs, you don't want to pull it if you don't have to. Check connections first. GROUND. Remove other wires, clean/scrape, apply a good dose of something like Deoxit, try again.

Something that works well cold, not well HOT could be connection/corrosion-related. Not enough current to solenoid.

Keep us posted.

PS (edit): Starter cover http://docs.wixstatic.com/ugd/f771be_8133aa45c3c44b81ab8873a478411ade.pdf

Anyone actually use one of these for FMVs?

Last edited:

juanprado

Steel Soldiers Supporter
Ask your local rebuilders if they do 24v. Many folks just don't have parts or want to hassle with 24v.

NAPA & O'reilly sells wilson electric which is a quality product. You would need to look at the Wilson website to see if they offer this starter. Parts folks at those stores won't have a clue on how to look up a military 24v but if you give them a part number, they can check that.

papakb

Keep in mind that the CUCV uses the same 6.2 engine as the HMMWV and other than it being a 24v vehicle it's a basic Chevy pickup. So why wouldn't a standard starter work as long as it's 24 volts?

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks