• Steel Soldiers now has a few new forums, read more about it at: New Munitions Forums!

• Microsoft MSN, Live, Hotmail, Outlook email users may not be receiving emails. We are working to resolve this issue. Please add support@steelsoldiers.com to your trusted contacts.

Starter not engaging... I think.

edpdx

My new (er) Wilson MT28 Gear Reduction starter has been working like a champ since I put it in in the fall. I went to start it in the evening and it only wound up but did not seem to engage the Flexplate. I have not pulled the Flexplate cover off yet; but I was wondering if any of you have something I should try first. It is certainly spinning; but the engine does not crank- like the gear shaft does not quite reach the Flexplate- or is now maybe too low to engage the teeth. I did slip underneath and found everything tight- no loose starter bolts or bracket.

I have been to the manual- but is is only typical manual stuff- I was hoping to get tips or tricks from anyone experiencing this in their past.

Thanks and Happy New Year!

combatmech

I have had the same problem. I load tested the batteries just to make sure.
Mine would start on the third try after the truck had been sitting over night. After the truck was warm, it would be fine.
This past saturday, it took four or five tries to get the starter to fully engage.
I plan on replacing the starter this week......and having the old one overhauled.

Would your truck crank over at all?

edpdx

I just came in from pulling the flexplate cover off. A few of the teeth on the flexplate looked a little chewed up- probably from the starter gear not fully engaging the flexplate. I don't have a helper right now so I turned the flexplate so that good teeth are directly across from the starter gear. I turned it over... same thing- starter whines as if turning fast and the engine fails to crank at all.

Question: Is a low battery condition likely to cause the MT28 starter to less-than-fully-engage?

I hate to pull the starter if a charge of both batteries would improve starter engagement.

I am now looking up how to charge the batteries on this blazer.

Abbylind

Disconnect all battery cables to both batteries. Hook up charger to each battery. Let batteries charge up. Disconnect battery chargers. Re-hook up all battery cables clean and check connections. Try starter YMMV

edpdx

I got a light and video camera on the starter after I charged both batteries and load tested them. The video shows the starter Pinion Gear moving out into the Flexplate and syncing fully with the teeth. The shaft seems to spin quite nicely; but the pinion gear does not spin. I moved (turned) the flexplate with a screwdriver tip very easily. What has happened?
28mt picf.jpg

usmc_05

The same thing happend to me a few months ago, I bench tested my starter and everything wokred fine, my batterys were fully loaded and my starter was gettting 24v... btw are you absolutley sure its a 24v starter (if your vehicle is still 24v). Any way i bought a new starter and it cranked right up. Its been wokring ever since, I guess the fault is prob on the old starter, even though it bench tested fine?!

cpf240

How is the pinion ( bendix? ) gear attached to the rotating shaft of the starter? Is there a key or pin? Perhaps that is missing or broken. I've never taken a starter apart, and was unable to find a good description or pictures online.

edpdx

I received a message from another member that asked if I had resolved this issue yet. I hate forgetting to close out a thread.

I may have addressed this in another thread; but in a nutshell: The problem was the drive gear on the starter- the clutch seemed to be slipping. I called Wilson, the manufacturer, and the tech guy said it is fairly rare; but it does happen. He said to send it back under warranty. I pulled it out and tried the Chinese starter that I had previously replaced with the now bad Wilson. It worked- I knew it was still good. The warranty Wilson starter came overnight. Now it is on the shelf NIB :jumpin:.

If you hear your starter spinning; but it does not seem to engage the Flexplate:

remove the six-seven bolts on the FP cover and either get an eye on it when someone cranks the engine or put a light and video camera on it. If the Bendix flies out and the starter gear syncs with the FP, then it is the same problem I had.

Otherwise check so see if the drivegear on the starter:

1. fully extends- too low batt power OR defective starter
  2. meshes with the FP gears- too low batt power OR defective starter
  3. to "low" to reach up into the FP "teeth". -Starter bolts too loose

AdBlock Detected

We get it, advertisements are annoying!

Sure, ad-blocking software does a great job at blocking ads, but it also blocks useful features of our website like our supporting vendors. Their ads help keep Steel Soldiers going. Please consider disabling your ad blockers for the site. Thanks!

I've Disabled AdBlock
No Thanks